How do you get internet on Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by je1ani, Nov 10, 2007.

1. je1ani macrumors 6502

I have installed Boot Camp BUT i Don't have access to internet... Any help? I'm running Leopard..

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

How do you normally connect to the internet? Wireless, modem, LAN? You probably need to set up the same connection settings in Windows as you would have done in OS X.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Did you install the driver pack for Boot Camp?

What about your network configuration in (windows XP?) is everything enabled?

It's been at least a year since I installed XP in Boot Camp - and I'm not 100%, but fairly confident I didn't have any troubles.

How are you connecting to the internet? Cable / DSL / Fios - do you have a router in line anywhere?

4. je1ani thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thanks for the quick reply! I am using XP Media Center and I installed the BOOTCAMP drivers which makes it now read the airport card but when I connect to the network it just keeps saying renewing IP... Over and over.. I use an Apple Airport to connect..

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well, I don't have any experience with Apples airport - but, gonna scratch something hopefully.

If you have any security enabled on your Airport - whether it be MAC Address Filtering, or encryption (or both) - Be sure you have the settings correct within XP. It might not be assigning an IP address to your XP install, because XP is not providing the key your airport is looking for.

I'd log into OSX and look into your airport settings on the airport - see if you have any encryption key, and temporarily disable it (make your network open). Write this key down, so you can type it into windows TWICE. :rolleyes: I can't imagine MAC filtering being an issue, because I believe the MAC address is on the hardware itself - so that shouldn't change regardless of what OS you're running. (as long as it's on the same computer) The only thing I see changing would be that encryption key.

Usually, setting up a network, I plug the computer into the ethernet cable going to the router, set it up, activate wireless, and check to see if it's getting an IP assigned before disconnecting and going straight to wireless.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Check that you're not using WPA2. I've never been able to connect from Windows with WPA2, maybe XP doesn't support it.

7. je1ani thread starter macrumors 6502

8. je1ani thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup I got it! Thanks! I just disabled all of my passwords and just made 1 closed connection with no pw... :)

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

My advice would be to try and keep encryption on - at least if you're in a neighborhood where someone else could steal your wifi / spy on you.

Just use something that both OS's will support. Like 128 WEP - (my XP install supports it).

Might be a pain to set up initially, but at least it will give you peace of mind.

Either way, glad to see you got everything worked out.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had no issues with plain old WPA (ie. WPA1).

11. Macuser2300 macrumors newbie

help

ok i know this is not my thread but i don't know how to make one so i am useing this one if you don't mind but i a useing boot camp to play pc games on are mac but we can't get internet or even know how to switch to mac again plz help:confused:

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I can help you with the switching to OS X again - either use the Startup Disk control panel item or hold the option key down when rebooting the Mac.

If you can't get internet in Boot Camp, try going through the suggestions in this thread

Summarized:
    -try installing boot camp drivers
    -check the network config in Windows
    -check the encryption key you typed is correct
    -disable wpa2 on the router and use a lesser encryption

13. Macuser2300 macrumors newbie

well i have been reading it and i got back to normal mac again but i don't under stand this internet thing pc's are to hard to under stand why i like macs so much but i was trying to get it so i can use wireless internet so me and my bro can play maple story because we can't on mac and it will only conect to dial up what ever that is i think i know a bit about it but not how to use it plz help if you can

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Well some information would be useful - like how you got Internet access on your Mac. The steps you did on the Mac are probably repeatable on the PC side.

15. Macuser2300 macrumors newbie

well i have had a mac for a long time now and i just wireless internet but on boot camp it says there is cord internet you know where u use the cord the model and it won't work when i hocked it up to the modem and now it says some thing about dial up i am so confused but we are useing linksys right know for are internet

16. After G macrumors 68000

After G

To check if there is a wireless connection in Windows XP:

From the Start Menu, open Windows Control Panel.
    Inside Control Panel, click the "Network Connections" option if it exists, otherwise first click "Network and Internet Connections" and then click "Network Connections."
    Finally, right-click "Wireless Network Connection" and choose "Properties."

There should be a Wireless Networks tab there. If you click on the tab, there should be a View Wireless Networks button. Click it, and it should show you your wireless network.

(I'm assuming you're using Windows XP as Vista and up automatically find the network).

17. Macuser2300 macrumors newbie

i followed your instructions and it did not work i have no wireless connection butten here.

18. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Sounds like you have to install the Boot Camp drivers then. They should be on your OS X install CD.

If not, the Boot Camp Assistant used to burn a drivers disk for you (Run the Assistant from OS X). I don't know if it still does now, haven't had to use Windows for a while. :D

19. Macuser2300 macrumors newbie

ok ty for all your help but how do u get these drivers

20. After G macrumors 68000

After G

If you are running Snow Leopard:

If you are running OS X 10.5 Leopard:

Get them here.