How do you get on the internet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chris88, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Chris88 macrumors member

Hi I am thinking about getting a Macbook my first. I did a search and found a lot of info but not really what I am looking for. I would like to get on the internet while on the road what would I have to get are what would be the best way to do that. I have a laptop that I use an aircard from Verizon. This is the only thing that I need to find out about before I buy the Macbook.

Thanks Chris

2. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Ok... Slap me for suggesting this, but the iPhone would work real good!

3. overcast macrumors 6502a

Except that it's 4.5" and doesn't help the OP one bit with getting his laptop on the internet.

4. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I was also suggesting that he dump the laptop. And then get an iMac and an iPhone.

5. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Unless he can use a cell phone via USB, he can't with a MacBook since there's no slots for any cards. Only with a MacBook Pro.

6. Chris88 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so the macbook pro has slots for cards. I guess there is no way I can use my air card for both. I would like to get a mac but this is the only sticking point.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

AT&T and Verizon offer USB cards that work with Windows and OS X. If you want a Macbook you could try looking at them.

Question: is your current aircard a PC Card or ExpressCard? The MacBook Pro only has and 34mm ExpressCard slot and its not compatible with the older PC Cards, so you may have to get a new card anyway.

8. Chris88 thread starter macrumors member

It's a pc card and I have Verizon. I was looking on Verizon and some of the air cards say system requirements are Microsoft Windows 2000, XP and Vista
    - Mac OS X 10.3.9 so I guess I am going to have to call Verizon (boy I hate that). But on the other hand if the Macbooks don't take the pc card I don't know.

9. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

You could get a Bluetooth phone capable of tethering, which means the MacBook could connect to the phone's mobile internet through Bluetooth.

10. Chris88 thread starter macrumors member

Yep that was one thing I was thinking about

11. lag1090 macrumors 6502

12. lag1090 macrumors 6502

It would if you could actually tether it to a computer.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Especially if you can find a phone that does EV-DO and BT2 / EDR, it might not be bad at all... and you won't have to plug anything into your notebook -- just have it available nearby (i.e. in your bag or pocket). However, I'm not sure how completely Verizon has discontinued its practice of disabling features like this on their phones. So you'll probably want to search for an example of someone doing this with the phone in question and verizon before you take the plunge.

14. lag1090 macrumors 6502

Verizon still disables a number of Bluetooth-related features on their phones, including OBEX profiles and such. Verizon claims that this is for "network security," but it's most likely to prevent people from offloading photos or other content instead of being charged to send them through Verizon's network.

Verizon does have a data plan for tethering to a computer, but it's only through a USB connection kit.

Edit:

It does seem as if Verizon allows for Bluetooth dial up networking on certain phones. See here: http://support.vzw.com/pdf/BT_Chart_Handsets.pdf

When I purchased my phone (Motorola e815), all Bluetooth profiles except for the headset profile were disabled. I remember seeing various people completing seem edits on the phone's firmware with great success, showing that Verizon had artificially crippled the phone's Bluetooth capabilities.

15. Chris88 thread starter macrumors member

I have the Q from Verizon and it has the personal network I migth try. I still need to call them.
    Oh by the way I just got back from buying a Macbook this is my first mac