Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I remember when I got the original iphone when it came out, it took probably 2 weeks to feel comfortable with it and be up to speed with a regular phone. Only problem I still don't like is that I have to look at it, but I guess its good so you're not texting and driving.

joshellis625

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
Georgia
I guarantee you will get used to it much faster than you think. It was weird at first for me but now I can't imagine ever going back to a real keyboard, save the one on my computer desk. ;)

firecrasher

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore
I love it. I have extremely tiny hands so it's always in portrait, and the touchscreen reduces repetitive stress problems associated with buttons. It's a pain sometimes since it requires a bit more of your attention (texting/AIM while driving? extreme FAIL) but definitely worth it if your pinkies aren't even 2" long :(

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I thinking of getting an iPhone, but my main concern is using the keypad. I have a touch phone at the moment, which I added a 'phone' style keypad to. The benefit of this is that I can text using my thumb, like you would on a normal phone.

The problem I have had when trying out the iPhone in the shop is that I can't use it with my thumb, I also tried with my index finger but mostly kept hitting the wrong letter (although it didn't look like I was).

Anyone else have difficulty with the touch qwerty keyboard, is it something you adjust to over time?

And before anyone says, I don't have big sausage fingers either!

The biggest problem I had with the keyboard at first was assumption that I'd miss and get things wrong and sure enough, I did. Once I started to have confidence in my finger placement and, then, started using the "two thumbs" method, I can type quite fast.

You won't be typing blind with one finger any time soon, but, it's not impossible.

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
England
Even after a couple of days of ownership (my first iPhone) I've found the landscape keyboard to be better than any other mobile keys I've used, and I've had a mobile phone for nearly 15 years! You can type so fast on it because you don't have to press it so hard so you can just brush keys to type, its awesome.

I've found typing with the fingers next to my thumbs to be the best option, with middle fingers and thumbs holding the phone itself.

DarKeneD

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
I thought it would be hard coming from a Helio Ocean but in 10 minutes I got the hang of it. I took that mobiletypingtest and I got 45 wpm. Not too bad for a first all touch phone in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.