How do you get one of those giant Apple store iPhone/iPod displays?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadMacxxx, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Saw a thread here where a fellow had a giant ipod nano....how? It'd be impossible unless you were a manager at an apple store or something, right? They'd never be for sale....or what?

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

1.Enter store
    2.Cut wire/string holding said display
    3.Run your butt off.

Wait untill a very busy time, and you're good to go.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Its only a huge case with a TV in them, but your right, they would never be on sale :)

4. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

so you couldn't even walk in and find the manager to say, "so, when time comes to switch displays...any chance I could obtain a store display for a certain price? Possibly work something out...?"

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You know, you MIGHT have a chance.

The company I work for lets us sell window props if people ask for them. Half the time they send us price lists.

6. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Most other companies, maybe. With Apple I just cant see it as theyre such a seemingly closed company.

7. muledogus macrumors 6502

I've wondered this too. I figure asking is the best way, it would be awesome to have that as a TV.

I used to work at a pet store and we had some fake trees as decoration and somebody wanted to buy one once. The owner of the store told me to make a price. Retail stores will usually (at some point) sell almost anything. The problem is, all the apple store employees probably already have dibs.

8. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

If you're talking about Sir Paul Smith who received a giant model of a pink iPod nano from Jonathan Ive as a birthday present, that's a completely unique situation, seeing as how Jonathan Ive is Senior Vice President of Industrial Design at Apple.

If you're just talking about a giant paper cut out of it that hangs in the window display, if you talk to the manager you just might about able to buy it off of them when the time comes to switch it out, although they might just tell you that they need to bring it back to their corporate office.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

yep talk to the Manager

the better they know you the better for you. Tell the manager you are a big fan of Apple and love the Display is there any way I could get one, Or get the display when the store is done with it. The movie theater near me put names on any displays 1st one to ask gets the display. they give them away free vs throwing them away.

10. liltechdude macrumors member

I don't know why any of you guys want that POS. It's simply a PC running Windows XP playing a video of the applications/iPhone functionality. Nothing more.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Think you missed a step unless you're just going for the vandalism :)

12. iGary Guest

iGary

You'll have little chance unless you work there. I managed to get some pretty cool stuff when I worked there.

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Maybe ask at an AT&T store....thay might be more amenable to parting with older display items than Apple

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's been my experience as well. We could sell whatever props people wanted (mainly to employees) for dirt cheap and whatever didn't sell went into the giant trash compactor. It was kind of fun to heave the giant glass vases in there and see how many pieces they'd smash into before the compactor had its way with them.

15. Skystar macrumors 6502

How much would an invisible shield run for one of those? :confused:

16. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

why in he dbl hockey sticks would anyone want something like this:confused:just more clutter to collect

17. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

In reality you would have to work or know someone at the Apple stores, the same goes with movie posters at cinemas

18. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

19. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Yea I know that was a rare instance and that Jonathan designs the look of Apple products, but I'm talking about the over sized iPhone 3G/S's in the Apple stores...the one's with an actual screen.

Attached Files:

20. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Not much, about the same as adding a Clear Bra to your car's front end. Keep mind this "Invisible Shield" material has been used for a very long time, and the automotive clear bra film, is the same exact thing. So, it'd actually be pretty easy... if installers can successfully apply the clear bra film to all of the intricate curves and angles of a car, then I'm sure this simple shape would be cake. Probably cost about or under $100.

21. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

You wanna use your connections and get me in on some of that pretty cool stuff too? :D[​IMG]

22. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

This is sad......... You would actually want one of those?

23. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

they only carry the screen...err I mean, the monitor hooked up to a PC running a video of OS 3.0's capabilities.

Attached Files:

24. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm afraid to even post pictures of it, lest I violate some part of the NDA I signed. :eek:

25. MadMacxxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

I have 5,400sqft of space, the bills are paid, and my charities have been given their monthly share....so, why not?
    *edit* and I have a gaming/lounge/theater area of my home that this would look cool in...next to aracade machines, pool table and such.