Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flac, Feb 5, 2015.
How do you get rid of the electric current running through the MacBook Pro?
Just take the battery out...
Why would you want to...
Electronics do not work without electricity!!!
I am assuming you are feeling something when you use the machine, you might want to be a bit more specific with your question.
As for that you shouldn't feel anything.
Anecdotal evidence suggests some people are especially sensitive to electric currents in electronics, obviously having a laptop with a metal case would not be so good for those people.
Check if you get the same with other macbooks. If you do, get a skin for yours, if you don't then take it into apple and get them to check it out.
If all that fails then it's probably plastic laptop time for you.
Don't wear rubber sole shoes/slippers if you have carpets.
If possible use an earthed (grounded, 3 pins), electric outlet. If your country doesn't use earthed outlets then there isn't much you can do.
Which country uses earthed outlets? So basically a MBP is useless unless used in those countries?
It looks like they didn't have electricity in mind when they designed the laptop...
Several countries which used to be part of the British Empire still use it.
Britain itself, Malaysia and Singapore are some of the few that still use the 3-pin outlets with earthed connectors.
Australia uses a different one, but is earthed as well if I remember correctly.
It has a metal case so it is easier to feel any static discharge between you and the MBP, given the MBP cannot discharge to ground without a grounded power connector. It could be both ways though, your static discharging to the MBP.
Seriously can't consider it to be "useless" due to it though.
Correct, any metal 240v appliance has to be earthed including fixed appliance. Its the only thing stopping you getting fried if there is a chassis short.
Fortunately most electronics are low voltage hence the need for a transformer so the risk of shock is negligible.
If its plastic or insulted then its not required.
The Australia / New Zealand one (and some Pacific Islands) can be found here:
Plenty of options to choose from:
Just a thought, but are you using a third party charger or an official Apple one, and does the "current" you feel only happen when you are plugged in or also on battery power alone?
I have felt this sort of current in every Macbook I've ever had (3 different ones). Whilst this was normal, my previous MBA had a fault on top of that, where the battery would make a distinct static noise whenever I'd scroll (regardless if on the touchpad or the mouse) and it took me forever to find a Genius, who actually cared to listen, because most just heard "static" and immediately assumed it was this normal electric current one can feel especially on the closed lid when the Mac is only sleeping and always proceeded to lecture me that this was completely normal. In the end my battery blew up, so my static noise during scrolling was indeed not normal, but there certainly is some flow of current going on that one simply cannot avoid. I suppose it is hard to differentiate, if even the Geniuses had troubles doing so.
Are you using the duckhead (plug adaptor) or the extension cord with your power brick?
The extension cord is earthed and will require a three pin socket outlet.
These can take many forms.
In Europe the most common are Schuko, the French type or BS1363 (UK and Ireland).
Wear rubber gloves.
Seriously though, getting static-shocked everytime I put my finger on the groove to open the lid is getting annoying.
No doubt you are correct and Apple's engineers forgot to factor in the simple concept of electricity during all design phases.
Unplug it, then take the battery out, then hold the power button for 60 seconds. There will then be no more electric current running through your MacBook.
If this helps you please mark this answer as having solved your problem (kidding of course but I hate emojis so much I refuse to use a winking one!)
No, seriously, please rephrase your question if you want any kind of serious solution to your problem.
I assume this is cuz when charging the laptop, feels a bit odd?
because if that is the case, Do you have 2 sorta... setup pins for the adapter, as I am in the netherlands I have a short an non grounded cable but the longer is grounded in my case which also fixes that issue.
You, like me are probably extra sensitive to static electricity. I'm assuming that what your referring to is a sort of "vibration" feeling when you run your fingers over the metal surface. I get the same feeling when I touch the metal parts on my iPhone and iPad. For me, this feeling only happens while the device is charging. As soon as I unplug the charger, the surface feels smooth again and the vibration feeling is gone.
As far as I know, the static will not hurt you. If it bothers you too much just unplug the charger (and avoid useing the device while its charging).
well, thats what I'm having and its not harmful, if you got a grounded charger with your macbook that will solve it as well.