Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I've run into an issue, where there's a huge amount of other data on my Mac HD, what kind of programs work the best, or do I have to do a system restore, basically reinstalling El Capitan?

Thanks in advance.

More info:

30.38 GB in Other Data
I don't edit any videos, decided against it

-Jason

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Other is everything that does not fall into one of the remaining categories. On Yosemite and El Capitan that readout is almost always wrong anyway, but 30GB is not unusual.

Is there something else wrong that has you concerned about this?

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Other is everything that does not fall into one of the remaining categories. On Yosemite and El Capitan that readout is almost always wrong anyway, but 30GB is not unusual.

Is there something else wrong that has you concerned about this?
Just worried about running out of space.

Are there any good apps that show what's taking what space?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just worried about running out of space.

Are there any good apps that show what's taking what space?

You can use OmniDisksweeper to check. Thing is, these GUI apps don't show some hidden and system files, so you won't see everything.

You can run the command below in Terminal and it will show everything. This will show all the base folders and their size in GB.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just add something: "others" include system files as well. So if you decide to get rid of them, you get rid of your system at the same time as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.