How do you get the MBP to cool down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boesky, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

Mine can get hot sometimes and then fans will kick in. Only way to get them to stop is to shut off the Mac for a while. Any other solutions you can do without turning off the Mac?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

smcFanControl, allows you to control your fans.

Avoid placing your Mac on sheets or pillow.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

sit in a cryogenic freezer. macbooks produce heat. they all do. and its fine. computer parts have sensors that shut the computer down when it reaches certain thresholds of temperature.

5. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i just downloaded smcfancontrol for the 1st time and as you've stated, allows me to control fan speed....so, is there any harm if i constantly have the fans on in order to prevent from my macbook and lap from getting warm?

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Your fans are always on anyway. The idea is to kick up the rpm's a bit so your cpu/gpu won't get real hot kicking in the way delayed fan speed settings from Apple. Apple has the fan speed tied to temps./time but once it gets hot enough to kick in the increased rpm's, it's too hot for the fans to actually cool the system if processes are still running.
    The Apple fan default will keep it running at a hot, safe temp. but won't seem to actually cool it. The SMC in theory will keep the cool air flowing over the processors before they have the time to produce the extra heat needed to kick in the fans.

It's late, I'm tired. Hope that made a wee bit of sense. I think they are static at 2k rpm, try setting them to 2500 and see how that does you. Another thing you will want to watch is make sure you're not blocking the rear air flow or setting your computer on a soft surface. It needs that small gap underneath to dissipate heat. The more gap you give it (raising computer from lap) the cooler it will run too. You can also put a few things under the rear of the unit while sitting at a desk to raise the rear bottom up. Pencils work fine.