Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I love the new MacBook, and since my PC is on it's last legs, I would love to buy the new 2.4ghz. But what is going to come out in 3 / 6 / 9 months that is going to make me completely regret buying this?
Helps! :(

The only major things likely to come out within that timeframe is the next version of Mac OSX Snow Leopard and maybe some updated desktops based on the new Intel Nehalem architecture. If you bought a Macbook now you could always buy the new OSX when it comes out, so that's not worth waiting for. Nehalem on the other hand could be worth waiting for if you push your machine to the limits and need faster frame rates for your games or faster number crunching. But if you don't need any of that, go ahead and get the Macbook while it's still near the beginning of it's cycle so that you get maximum use out of it before "the next generation" ones come out.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The only major things likely to come out within that timeframe is the next version of Mac OSX Snow Leopard and maybe some updated desktops based on the new Intel Nehalem architecture. If you bought a Macbook now you could always buy the new OSX when it comes out, so that's not worth waiting for. Nehalem on the other hand could be worth waiting for if you push your machine to the limits and need faster frame rates for your games or faster number crunching. But if you don't need any of that, go ahead and get the Macbook while it's still near the beginning of it's cycle so that you get maximum use out of it before "the next generation" ones come out.

Nehalem will be awesome, once it comes out on the MBP I'll be selling this MB for one.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
The only thing I could think of that may change in the MacBooks is a possible specs up grade, most likely just HDD and maybe processor.
Possibly 4GB in the 2.4GHz model.
Even if you buy one now, it will most likely last you at least a good three or four years, that's another advantage it has over PC's.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I can't believe no one else mentioned it....

The resale value of Macs

I bought my first Mac (iMac in sig) mid 2007 for a little over $1000 I believe, and finally feel it's time to upgrade (to either a 20" or 24") and when I get my tax return I will be selling my 17" iMac for at least $700. I also later bought the lowest current spec Mac Mini cause I wanted another computer but shortly there after I sold it for $400 (to the same person that's planning on buying my iMac) and bought a MacBook for portability.

Both my iMac and MacBook were bought not too long before an upgrade - my iMac was bought not too long before the Alu. ones came out, and my MacBook is only 11 months old. But I don't regret it at all, my iMac still has a matte screen, and my MacBook still has firewire, sure I'll upgrade when I feel like it or have to, but both my Macs still run perfectly fine despite the fact that newer ones have been released. And even when I do upgrade I know I'll get a decent amount of return on my investment due to the high resale value of Macs. :D

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Let's not forget Anti-Virus, multiple daily updates, unstable hardware (especially Wi-Fi), 4 minutes to come out of sleep mode.....

I never understand this. Apple is actually WORSE for updates then Microsoft. Microsoft has a specific day every month where updates occur. Makes it easy for everyone to know when it will happen and what to expect. I've had 4 updates come out in a week with Apple, all requiring a restart.

I don't understand unstable hardware either, Apple doesn't use the best wireless around, especially with the early metal MBP's.

gotzaiPhone

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
This was my reasoning, because my macbook was EXPENSIVE!!! But it was a 2 parter here:

1. In the last 2 years, I have had two different PC notebooks, both of which have failed. The first was about 800 bucks and it failed (HD took a ****), so I replaced it and sold it quick. The second was a (at the time) 1500 dollar top of the line HP pavilion entertainment notebook. That peice of crap was broke more than it was working, if it wasn't the OS taking a dump, it was 3 HDs going bad or the power not wanting to stay on or charge the battery. So that was 2300 bucks in computers in 2~2.5 years.

2. A buddy of mine is a hard core apple guy, his business all uses macs and thats all he has at home too. He just upgraded his powerbook to a mac book pro after 5 years and it was only because of work. All he did was upgrade the ram for his wife and she's loving it. No problems in 5+ years now.

Those two reasons is why I'm a mac user now.

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
I never understand this. Apple is actually WORSE for updates then Microsoft. Microsoft has a specific day every month where updates occur. Makes it easy for everyone to know when it will happen and what to expect. I've had 4 updates come out in a week with Apple, all requiring a restart.

I don't understand unstable hardware either, Apple doesn't use the best wireless around, especially with the early metal MBP's.

Not just MS having updates, it's new virus definitions and other ilk, several times a day. As for hardware I can't tell you how many times (and with different manufacturers) I've had to reboot due to the wi-fi screwing up on the laptop. It comes down to one machine designed by one company engineering from top to bottom vs another put together haphazardly to be "compatible" with a piece of bloatware OS that relies on 3rd party drivers.

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
I have been toying with the idea of buying a Mac for probably two years now. I have been a PC user all my life and love them, but certainly see where Macs could be a big advantage with my work going forward.

However, I have never been so nervous to buy a piece of technology in my life! I feel like multiple times a year, Mac comes out with these groundbreaking hardware features that every Mac user who purchased in previous cycles are jealous of. Multi-touch track pad. Glass pad. Aluminum body. Backlit. Etc/etc.

I love the new MacBook, and since my PC is on it's last legs, I would love to buy the new 2.4ghz. But what is going to come out in 3 / 6 / 9 months that is going to make me completely regret buying this?

Helps! :(

The only time to buy anything from Apple is the month it comes out. They rarely if ever lower their prices and their "refreshes" are usually not worth it.

Look at the Mac Pro for example - the day it comes out, it's a great deal. Cheaper or the same cost as an identically configured machine from HP or Dell. Now, we're going on a year... HP and Dell have slashed their prices multiple times, and Apple is charging the same amount.

If you're worried about buyer's remorse, don't listen to the people who say "just buy it"... Just wait for it to come out and get it then.

Computers are always obsolete after a certain number of years.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
At first I bought an iPod. I loved how well it synchronized with my music and podcasts on my Dell. Then I bought my dad a Macbook Pro for doing video stuff, but then got jealous on how well and easy synching your calendar and addresses with a phone is. So I bought an iMac and NEVER ever regretted to do so.
Synching your data is such a nice thing. And with Time Machine you even have regular backups. Something I have never done on my windows machines. It takes some time until you get used to Mac OS X. The next step was the iPhone which I love to death mostly because of the synching with mobile me. I hardly ever have to sync it at all! Most stuff is push.
I removed the last annoyance my Thinkpad just on black friday. I bought a new Macbook because it fits so perfectly in my systems with synching and all that stuff. Plus it is smaller, less heavy and has longer battery life.

You just have to love those Macs, and the prices are not unreasonable when you compare it to other computers. The new Macbook is new enough.
Ultimately you have nothing to lose. If you have Mac OS X just use boot camp to run Windows. You then have a really nice Windows Notebook.
Just do it like you have done it with previous computers. Buy it when you need it. Even if USB 3.0 is coming out next year, it will take a long time until you can find reasonably priced harddisks that actually give you an advantage over USB 2.0.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm the most straightforward of Mac shoppers. I buy a new one every 4 years or so and when the time comes when I need a new one, I buy the best one I can afford, off the shelf... whether it's a laptop or a tower. No waiting, no dicking around. Just go into town to the AppleStore and ask for what I want and take it home.

I don't even carefully inspect them for minor cosmetic problems; they're just a computer, a tool to get the job done. Have never had any problems with any of them needing repair, never any regrets.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

So you rather wait for an update or get it as soon as it comes out? MS will need a major update and you have to wait days for it to come out. It seems Apple will release the update as soon as its ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.