How do you go about backing up your data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paulwright, Apr 1, 2010.

1. paulwright macrumors newbie

So, Please excuse me if this is terribly simple, but I have realised that as the amount of important, non-replaceable data (containing all files and photos) is reaching 500Gb, and my methods for backing up data are dependant on if I remember to do it. Not the greatest method, I know, but thats why I am here.

I have just received a new 1.5tb external HDD and I think I should sort out my backup methods. Currently I just copy and paste important files into folders on two HDD's (Yes I backup the data twice).

So... how do you go about backing up your data? I have the new version of SuperDuper! (Trial, but am willing to purchase it), and I guess I could also use time machine, and could also get other software if it will help me more.

My plan is to initially start with a backup of my macbook HDD. Then I want to back up all new files to the external drive aswell (maybe on a daily basis). With SuperDuper! I see that the main methods, without deleting data, will replace files with the same name. So saying I backed up my harddrive then accidentally deleted the file on my desktop called "X.pdf". I then go and create a new file called "X.pdf", without noticing, I will have lost the original "X.pdf" on the previous backup, once I have backed up.

OK If that doesn't make sense, would you guys mind going through how you do your backups? Do you overwrite the last backup?, or do you have another system. I am just worried that I will accidentally delete a file, and then create a new file with the same name, it will be overwritten when I backup, meaning I lose the original file, and wont be able to get it back.

Maybe I am just confusing myself, but I really need to have my backups automated. As you may be able to see, my main worry is overwriting backed up files

Thanks
    Paul

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

3. paulwright thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it really any good?

4. paulwright thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any easy way of backing up time machines backups?

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I don't like Time Machine. But I might get the MacUpdate bundle that features an application that is apparently makes TM better.

Otherwise, I just use a few external HDDs, Dropbox, Google and USB sticks/SD cards.

What I really want to try is to get a massive goat and to tattoo my files on its back in binary. I might need more than one goat, actually.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It does what it's advertised to do; I wouldn't bother with backing that up - it is a backup itself.

Combined with a periodic clone (SuperDuper/CarbonCopyCloner), and maybe something offsite, you'll have a redundant strategy that will allow varying levels of recovery.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

My backup, if I had it completely implemented, would look like the following:

1) Dropbox - 2-10* GB of my most important documents, backed up, versioned and accessible from anywhere for free (*with referrals)

2) Time machine - A complete backup of your entire system, included and free if you've got a spare hard drive

3) SuperDuper! or CCC bootable system backup. This can just be a "system files and essential programs" backup as your documents/files are backed up in 3 other places. Good for when your internal drive gets corrupted and you're under a deadline.

4) Offsite/Online backup. Carbonite, Mozy, Backblaze or another service. I backup everything here except system files and programs.

So far, I've only implemented steps 1 and 4 as I'm stuck using a PC and haven't invested in alternatives yet. Occasionally, I'll dump my user files onto an external drive for a local backup. I feel reasonably safe with my method.