How do you go about work?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Awesome-o/, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Awesome-o/ macrumors member

Im a student and im finding it increasingly hard to concentrate when working. This is really affecting my work level and is making me increasingly frustrated.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ensure you have a clean work area with minimal distractions. Gather all the stuff you need, including refreshments (especially water) around you to ensure you don't have an excuse to get up and leave what your doing. Personally I like to have music on, I find it helps me concentrate as there is less aural distraction, but others find it makes it more difficult to concentrate.

Finally take breaks: work for 30-45 minutes in a stretch then take a 5-10 minute break. Get up from the desk. Walk around the room or go and get some air. Try and stretch a bit in this time...

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

All good advice from robbieduncan, but I recommend staying away from MacRumors ;)

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I think the key is to set reasonable goals, work for pre-defined periods of time, and turn off wi-fi. Work hard and play hard.

5. Awesome-o/ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips, il defenetly give them a go. I think I just have rediculously low will power. These days i just seem to stare at my computer screen for hours, and then feel rubish later for it. I was told i was dyslexic earlier in the year which i think has led me to question my ability a bit.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

It's amazing how simple tips like this are good for creativity as well (although that can be a bit more personal for some). They must use the same parts of the brain or something.

Also try setting smaller goals rather than simply staring at the whole task as one big blob; Break it up a bit and handle it in chunks that you can measure progress with.

I find I think much more analytically in the :30-:45 mins following a cup of coffee (which is no big news, I know). And I agree stale air is a huge inhibitor to concentration.. you get sooo tired so quick..

7. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

dude, thats exactly how i feel/operate like very fricking night!
    i hate it.
    im going to try some of these thing tomorrow night.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

MR is a productivity killer.

My post count has doubled since I started writing up my thesis. :p

9. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

some adderall will help, visit your doctor about getting some. Idk what i would have done without it in high school.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Make sure that what you're working on is something you care about. Otherwise, why are you working on it? ;) And yes, I'm quite serious.

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

I feel so much better now :). I am finishing my thesis this semester and I find myself on MR to avoid working for long stretches.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've actually finished writing my thesis. I'm just putting it together now. I probably would have finished 8 weeks earlier if I worked without posting on MR, although that's just an estimate. ;)

On the other hand, posting here probably helped me, although it's hard to measure. I found it too difficult to focus on a single task for 7 days/week, for around 40 weeks. I worked on my thesis nearly every single day, with very few days where I do nothing. In fact, I was just on vacation in Japan for 19 days, and yet I worked on my thesis (for at least 6 hours) every day except 3 days. I considered that a vacation. Pretty sweet, eh?? :eek:

It wasn't the work that was the problem. It was the lack of variety. :rolleyes: All I did was write my thesis, which is pretty much just one single topic. I've already been working on this one project for 3 years, so imagine writing about it 24/7, over 9 months. Taking 5 university subjects and completing assignments, tests, presentations, etc, is far easier for me because the topic changes. How many hours can you spend each day watching, and focusing, on the same movie? For how many days per week? For how many weeks? Even something as leisurely as watching a movie would be difficult if you had to focus the entire time!!

You can say that I wasted my own time by posting here, but it really did keep me sane. And even though I posted here, I eventually burnt out anyway (around 2.5 months ago). :( I couldn't even look at my thesis without going for a walk outside.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good advice.

Good advice.

Good advice.

True.

That always helps.

As has been mentioned break down your daily tasks into small easy attainable ones. Keeps things positive.

Also, at the beginning or end of the day, take a few moments and review what you accomplished and what needs to be done. Prioritize this list and plan out your day. A simple check list on a piece of paper or note card can do wonders. Of course there are many apps out there that will assist you. Recording the data is not the issue. Getting things done is. :)

14. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

"why put off something tomorrow, that you can put off today" {quote by Not Me, Jr. (whoever)}

i 2nd some of these tips (re-worded): get started on a small warmup task (break the job into parts, then get a grip.. somewhere)
    Yes, genuine interest is big help IMO too, but sadly this is often not much in one's control.

if you occasionally feel an excess of energy you cannot release, keep a dead trabant and some baseball bats handy... :)
    and finally, an inspirational aphorism: imagine having to do this (master's thesis, virtual brain surgery on rocket scientists, etc) with only a stone hammer and a hole in the mud.
    instead you can use this absolutely thrilling (thrilling!) technology...

15. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Turn Airport off!!! and forget about it tell you are done!

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

All good advice (even for ourselves), from robbieduncan and everyone else; uncluttered desk, frequent breaks, something that doesn't drive you to distraction (I agree with Abstract - a thesis topic - one which initially enthused you, can become something unspeakably tedious - I've been there), breaking the task into small maneagable bites rather than setting impossible goals, all help. So does taking reasonable breaks. Rather than berate yourself, set definite time off, a day per week, a set period during the day when you are completely away from the (dreaded) task, but then genuinely work when you are sitting down to work.
    Cheers and good luck

17. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

actually, i might even put it off to tomorrow haha.
    i have been sick for almost a week and havent been at school. ive missed two 30 level, aka "senior" main courses, unit finals. my math 30 and chem 30. but im starting to feel better so i think i might start tomorrow haha
    good quote btw.