How do you guys deal with iPhone, iPad and Mac ringing at the same time? (Continuity)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by venividivigor, Apr 30, 2015.

1. venividivigor macrumors 6502

Do you guys get annoyed whenever you get a phone call, message, etc and they all ring on all your devices because of continuity?

If so, what do you guys do?

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I have an older MBP with an HDD (vs SSD).

I can usually answer the phone before the MBP finishes the first ring. I can see how this can get annoying, especially if you're sitting in a quiet office trying to do work and everything starts going off.

3. venividivigor thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah man, I have my iPhone, Apple watch, iPad and MacBook that would all go off in my bedroom. Ugh

4. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

Its really annoying. I know you can switch facetime and imessage off on devices but there should be an easier way to manage this lol

5. supermiff macrumors newbie

supermiff

Very annoying. It's the same when you receive a text message. It has left me with no choice but turn on messaging and phone calls on my Mac and iPad so that my iPhone is the only device handling these features.

6. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Set ringing on my non phone devices to just a light beep tone rather than the full blown ring.

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It seems you know how to disable the feature on your other devices. So are you saying you find this feature useful at times and want to have it enabled but is often annoying because you actually have your phone and all your other devices right by you?

Yeah I'm not sure what the best way to manage that is. Be nice if you could specify a range, like, don't bother ringing on devices that are <2m away from my iPhone.

8. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Same here, I can usually pick my phone up before my entire apartment starts ringing. It would be nice if the iPhone was more location aware, i.e. if its located on your desk next to your iMac, iPad, they would ring silently and only display a notification. Im sure this could be done using Bluetooth LE.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

would wouldn't it?

10. jdag macrumors 6502a

The simplest thing would be for there to be settings within the FaceTime programs to adjust the volume of that specific app, be it on iOS or OSX.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I realise that very few people actually call me, so it hasn't really been an annoyance yet.

That said, all my Apple devices are rarely in the same room together. That's the whole point of features like continuity. That I can have my iPad in the living room, my Mac in the study room, my iPhone in the bedroom, and when my phone rings, I can answer it regardless of where I am in the house.

12. GreyOS, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

a nice little apple 'it just works' type adjustment they could make is for it not to ring on other devices when the iPhone is currently in use - like if the screen on, unlocked and touched in the last minute or something. then you clearly just answer on the iPhone.

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I guess being older helps here. Growing up we had regular phone service in the house. When we got a call all the phones rang at once making it easier to hear from different parts of the house. Same today, only most of the devices are sitting in the same area. I just don't let it bother me too much. ;)

14. maverickdarcy macrumors newbie

Annoying

Ya its so annoying, i don't remember exactly what I did but i messed around with it enough and got it turned off on everything but by phone:)

15. laszlo182 macrumors regular

I think it would be better if they all could start ringing at the same time (same ringtone), so they will sound like one.

16. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

A week ago, it drove me crazy. Now none ring and I am notified by ring and vibration from my Apple Watch.

17. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

Perhaps this is why Apple haven't noticed how annoying it is for non-watch users

----------

I usually mute my Mac as soon as my phone starts ringing. The iPad is usually always on silent, so at that point I can answer my phone without the fear of the caller hearing the ringing of my other devices.

18. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I don't get bothered by this. It's a feature I like, I want to be able to answer with whatever is most convenient at that moment. The ringing is necessary, I might not hear my iPad if that's the only thing with me (iPhone is in another room) and it is always muted because of this or has a quiet ringtone.

19. Mo42 macrumors newbie

Yea, this is so annoying for me. I work from home, but use a work owned PC for work. I have my MacAir, iPad, and iPhone all connected.

I usually have my phone right next to me on the desk where I work all day, typically on back-to-back conference calls. I will be on a call for work, using my home phone, and i'll get a call on the iPhone. All the devices start ringing, but the Mac and iPad are located in the room next to me. I have an open concept home, so you can hear the ringing from different areas of the 1st floor (where I have my office set up).

I silence the iPhone next to me, but you can still hear all of the other devices continue to ring. There I am...stuck on my conference call (usually the one doing the talking when this happens - just my luck). I am unable to get up to silence the other devices because my meetings are typically webcam meetings, I can't just get up and walk away with no one knowing.

very annoying -

On the other hand, the feature is wonderful, and what keeps me from turing it off completly. When not working, I love that whatever device I am using at the moment enables me to make and receive calls. I think its more of a hassle to turn the feature on/off on various devices, then dealing with devices ringing in the background that I am unable to get to and silence.

20. cynics macrumors G3

Ahh! Thanks, I never even thought to look for that. Much better now.

21. saudor macrumors 6502

When i "stop" using a device, i turn on "do not disturb".. along with a less crazy ringtone for the non-iphone device

22. kwokaaron, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

I actually find it kind of amusing. Whenever I'm working with my friends and all three of my devices goes off, they ask me what's going on. I just say nonchalantly: "Oh nothing much, just getting a phone call" #

23. devinthomas macrumors regular

I'll let you know when the feature decides to be reliable enough for that to occur more than once.

24. venividivigor thread starter macrumors 6502

I love this feature, Ive always wanted this since I got the first iPad. But I didn't realize it would become so annoying :p

25. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

I think my problem with it, is that the rings don't stop quickly enough, when you've already picked up and your Mac is still blasting the ringtone.

Another thing is missed call, when I've acknowledged the missed call on my iPhone. It should disappear on Mac's Notification Center as well.