How do you guys do it? (13/14 year old entrepreneurs)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tsice19, Aug 25, 2008.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

OK. So here's what I'm wondering about.

I was just looking in the 18 and under setup forums and saw a few people about my age with great set-ups and noted that they're entrepreneur-ship earned them money to get those things.

I'm a great designer and earned many awards this past school year and also was recognized with a feature story in the local newspaper for my non-profit type work.

I'm wondering how I could cash in on these talents to make money. I've done two odd-ball jobs at $50 a piece, but that's really not that much money.

How should I go about selling my work? Since I'm so young, this seems like it would be impossible to do.

Any non-ridiculous ideas would be appreciated.

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Referrals and Web Design/Application Design.

Right now (Age 16) I work for a lawfirm with 5 other offices (I Work for the one out of Detroit, MI), and they asked me to re-do their website, for $9,000 dollars. They are coming back to me next year, so that I can re-do their internal database website that they use to keep records.

Thats how I do it, usually people I work for, refer me to others, which brings in more money, Plus, my family is made up of entrepreneurs, so its in my blood.

3. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

OK. So referrals are crucial. Thanks for the advice!

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

yes they are, and always do your best work, no matter what it is you choose, because if you do good work, the word will reach others.

5. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Ah, I might count :)

I own Talking Muffin Inc.

Hmm... My parents through me on the computer at 6 months, and I built my first website at the age of 7 (raw HTML and notepad FTW :p). A year ago or so, I discovered my interest in multimedia, and here I am! CEO of TM inc., graphics designer, and video producer/director/editor. :)

Anyways, you mentioned that you were a designer. Good for you! :D
    Well, if you never ask anybody for jobs, you won't get 'em!
    It's like when I first started out, I emailed small companies that I thought would take an interest in me, and asked them if they would like to become sponsors/affiliates.

Once you've got a solid base, more and more people will start coming to you! So, spread the word! You can advertise, or email some relatively small websites about your service and what you can do for them! Maybe provide an example of something you've designed in the past? Word of mouth works too (family/friends).

Anyways, sorry for the long post (I'm bored :rolleyes:)

Hope this helps! :apple:

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Excellent. People. Skills.

You can have all the facts, figures and tech know-how in the world, but if people perceive you as just 13... Well, you'll be treated like a joke. I always found my success came naturally from a very young age because I never acted quite my age. At 13 I could hold my own with any adult as far as conversation. By 16, I was surpassing some. At 18, I found age matters little, and now I only need to follow the rules of business and politics; "real world" stuff.

And at that age (13/14), just make sure you have impeccable attention to detail: don't let anything slip, and take keen observation of all that might influence any outcomes. Reputation is something that can and should be built from this age if you have lofty goals and aspirations for your future. It [your reputation] will always follow you; mind as well make it count from the get-go!

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well, I tutor kids at my school. I also have to go to work with my Mom once a week because I have to see my neurologist once a week, and the Managing Partner at my Mom's office has me do filing, and also has me do supply orders. I also do tech support when the attorneys or secretaries don't feel like calling the *******s at the help desk (IDK how many times I've saved an attorneys ass when he thinks he deleted a file). Granted most kids don't get a chance to do this, but I'll take $75 a week however I can get it. The tutoring is more of a "hobby" it doesn't pay very well, and I really only do it because it will look god on college applications.

Don

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was publishing PC games back when I was 13 and selling them at my school. This was 9 years ago and e-commerce (at least affordable for me) wasn't really around so these games would be free to download. But it netted me some moneys.
    Plus other stuff involvings CDs and selling.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:)

Focus on what interests you.

Positive referrals are one of the best ways to expand your business. Word of mouth is very powerful. Of course the converse is true as well.

Another area that you might consider, is volunteering your services for community organizations. Since they cross the community composition, you can get referrals that way as well.

To all, keep up that great entrepreneurial spirit! :)

10. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Word-of-mouth is the best form of sales. I know a young guy who did a free website for some hair salon in Rochester (NY) - he bent over backward to make it the best experience they ever had - and he's never had to advertise or do sales since and he has all the work he can handle.

11. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Wow, that's actually quite lucky of him!

12. darkwing macrumors 65816

Don't take the attitude that it's "lucky" for him. I hate it when people succeed and people consider it "lucky." He worked hard and did a good job and his hard work paid off. We all have to pay our dues no matter what age we get started. It's not "lucky" it's just good old fashioned "hard work." Good for him!

Oh, I might add that the 14-16 year olds who are making money and buying great Mac setups would really show their age putting that money aside for college instead of buying great Mac setups.... (Of course, if they're making the money for computing intensive things then maybe, but if it's for making web-sites you could really be more responsible.)

13. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Hm, I guess you're right. Maybe 'lucky' wasn't the exact word I was looking for. What I meant was that he was smart to work hard on the website even though he was doing it for free.

About the college thing, I do have a fund (and am saving) for college. I just needed to get a new computer, because mine just crapped out. It's not like I'm buying a 4000$ Mac Pro with 30 gigs o' RAM! (not directed to you, CharlieKirk :p) :)

14. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

haha the MP thing is funny...

Well, I too have a colledge fund, but an ACD (what I'm saving for) would male my life easier. I'm just sick of having to wait for Christmas so I can get money... I'd like to be less dependent on my parents.

15. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

You should just do a bit of research, and email some small companies :)

16. emp1re macrumors newbie

17. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

When I was 13 (back when Windows XP was brand new!) I used to hustle some web design. I would do jobs for $50-$100 per in Adobe Fireworks and I made a couple hundred bucks a week.

The big money was web hosting but it was super time consuming. Now I'm running websites. I love the internet.