How do you guys feel about Lenovo?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jb07, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jb07 macrumors 6502

My mom's old Dell crashed on Friday and she has been trying to decide on a new computer. A Mac is out of her price range. I suggested the Lenovo U400, but I just want to hear some other people's opinions.

Thanks!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think they're great. We have a Lenovo laptop in the house, and my brother has one, too. They're very good, but they're not very pretty, either. ;)

I'd consider getting one in ~3 years if Windows 8 turns out to be good, Lenovo Ultrabooks are competitive, and if OS X 10.9 (or whatever) ends up even MORE like an iPad, which is pretty useless, IMO.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Lenovos are solid well-built computers, but, as Abstract says, they are not "very pretty", i.e. not as attractively designed as a Mac.

Would you consider looking at a Mac refurb? Refurbs come with the same warranties as a new computer. Some of the refurb deals can be pretty good - especially if you do not necessarily want the latest - or most recent - model.

Cheers

4. 184550 Guest

I agree, if I had to purchase a Windows machine, I would definitely start with Lenovo.

5. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Yup, I've had a few Lenovos & they've always been good solid machines - I really like them ... for a Windows PC.

I'd be inclined to go for one of their small X-series laptops

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Fantastic. I had an R series Thinkpad about 10 years ago. It was my last PC before going Apple. Indestructible - still works fine today. They are what they are. IBM's under a new company name. I would only buy an IBM if getting a PC, I love the utilitarian design (as opposed to Abstract who doesn't) and the robustness of them.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

We went in company the way from IBM thinkpads to Dell. What a nightmare. Soon after that contract was ended we went (again) Lenovo ; much better and less trouble.
    Good choice based on experience

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a dell vostro (business line) and it's great. but lenovo's are great too. Avoid Acer.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yeah, if I had to buy a non-mac laptop, I'd probably go Lenovo.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

As a big fan of the ThinkPad range, I think Levono have done it superb justice since IBM passed over the mantle to them. Using my ThinkPad X32 right now, a killer machine, runs Windows 7 beautifully which for a machine of its age, is impressive.

So yeah, I'm a fan of Levono, despite never using any of their own PC offerings.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Pretty much the best laptops out IMO. They have a more industrial look to them, but they are great value for money and excellent build quality.

12. Jb07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies! I did look into Mac refurbs, but she doesn't want to learn OS X. She can barely get around Windows.

Oh, and Abstract, this is what the U400 looks like:

I wouldn't consider it "ugly."

Attached Files:

13. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Honestly, I think the W520 looks better than that notebook. It just doesn't look right.

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

"Post about being a MBP ripoff"

:rolleyes:

Had to make fun of it before someone did it. In all seriousness, I'm most likely hopping back to a Windows machine, and I'm waiting for everyone to refresh their products, but Lenovo is up there in my mind.

15. jpross123 macrumors member

jpross123

I love Lenovo or IBM as it used to be, have you also looked into HP's? I think they are nice solid built computers

16. ender land macrumors 6502a

I will never ever, EVER recommend someone buy an HP laptop that is not business class.

I cannot think of a single person with one of their consumer grade laptops who has not had significant problems.

17. jpross123 macrumors member

jpross123

I have had a couple HP laptop's and I had no issues

18. Jb07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an Envy 14 that has had no problems at all.

19. jpross123 macrumors member

jpross123

Of course I am the same with dell, I would not recommend a Dell unless it is business class, but that's my opinion because I think the lower end models just feel cheap.

20. Jb07 thread starter macrumors 6502

It does look a lot like a MacBook Pro. That's exactly the reason I like it.:D
    I cannot stand to look at those cheap, plasticky laptops that make up 90% of all computer models sold.

21. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I really like Lenovo's, I think they're made from solid material, and are quality products. Only thing they don't have is aesthetics, but I'd give that up for some quality.

22. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

No kidding, maybe they would sell more by appealing to a wider range of consumers if they keep everything the same, but the design. It doesn't have to be radical, but something to make them look like they are from the current generation. I still love the W and X series though.

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Lenovos are pretty much the acknowledged leader for business-class, professional Windows laptops.

24. XX55XX macrumors regular

I would stop buying Thinkpads if Lenovo ever dared to step away from their 1990s chic.

At any rate, I run Mac OS X on my T420, so I get the durability of a Thinkpad combined with the excellence of OS X.

25. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

At my last job I used a Lenovo Thinkpad as my work laptop and it was a perfectly good system. 200 gig disk, 4 gig ram, dual booted windows xp and ubuntu. I carried it around for 3 years with no issues.