How do you guys feel about the iPad mini having smaller side bezel

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Che Castro, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012

Che Castro macrumors 603

[​IMG]

I dont mind cause i use the ipad in landscape 95% of the time

The rumored iPad mini

2. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

that is a darngooddesign what is the problem ?

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The main thing I hear people saying is that the Mini would make it easier to hold one handed, a tiny side bezel would take away from that. If you can guarantee that the majority of people would use it in landscape then maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but you can't. I, for example, use mine in both orientations equally.

4. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

that article says

How do you hold it?

The lack of bezel on the side will not allow you to carry it like you hold a full-size iPad when in portrait mode without triggering some multi-touch on the display. Perhaps Apple has some software to dull the side touches when in portrait mode. But, really, this is unnecessary. You will need to hold it from the back more like you hold a phone (or one of those 7-inch tablets above). This is not hard, and in fact, it is the de facto way I tend to hold a Nexus 7 even though it has a bezel.

When held in a landscape mode, however, you cannot get your hand around the back. You will hold it like an iPad—using the bezels— and it will be better for gaming with two hands. Grab a 7-inch tablet and try it.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I've tried it with tablets around that size and found it less comfortable. Another issue is that a smaller tablet will appeal to those with smaller, weaker hands, due to it being lighter and easier to carry. They are going to have more issues holding it like you said.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Another picture from iMore. I have to admit it does look kind of awkward.

[​IMG]

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

8. nelly29 macrumors member

love it.....if it does look like this I will skip the iPhone 5 and grab a mini if they can keep it under $300

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Awkwardly awesome. obviously none of us know how it will "feel" but less bezel means more screen in a smaller footprint so I'm in.

10. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Users need the larger bezel on the iPad due to the weight and size. More of your palm will have to use the bezel. Meanwhile because the iPad mini is smaller and weighs less users will need to utilize less of their palm to hold the unit. Thus a smaller bezel. In other words it should work out fine. I'm sure they tested it a million times. No reason to create a larger bezel if it isn't needed.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The larger bezel seems important to me but if I am in the market for a new pad and the 7" is where it is at then hopefully I can palm it.

14. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Landscape is the key. That's primarily how I use my wife's iPad anyway. I'm buying this if this is real.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i think i see you talking about the mini more than anyone else ;)

i personally think they should keep the same formfactor. i like the bezel.
    Another month and time will tell.

16. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

17. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I think my thumbs haven’t got any smaller, and it’s going to be a problem.

I’m curious to hear what the use-case is for people that primarily have their iPads in landscape though. Mine is almost never in landscape unless I need to get a lot of typing done with the large keyboard rather than the split one in portrait.

I don’t know anyone else with an iPad that uses it in the landscape orientation either. It’s only people with Android devices I’ve seen using them like that. (because they’re 16:9 which isn’t suited to portrait use)

18. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I have the nexus 7 with thinner side bezels and it's a little awkward to hold after a while as you don't have clear place to rest your thumbs. So, I'm not in favour of the smaller side bezel.

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Why? Because the text is bigger in landscape mode, and thus easier for me to read. Basically, it is the ideal size for me for viewing websites in their entirety and the like. In portrait, the font is usually too small, and while I can pinch to zoom, it also means I have to scroll all over the place just to read what is on the page. :)

Ipad cases/smart covers also tend to support the ipad mostly in landscape mode; mine is one such case.

20. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

That’s interesting, I generally find pages too wide like that, which slows down my reading considerably because I’m constantly looking left and right over the device, rather than reading with the central portion of my vision, and I’m always scrolling down rather than having a tall view of the page.

I suppose I just hadn’t considered that.

21. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

absolutely this ^

the only people i've seen using landscape are those with Android devices. i use my iPad in portrait 99% of the time. the other 1% is for when i need to type a lot and want a larger keyboard. otherwise, i prefer the split keyboard which is what is accustom to texting on an iphone.

i don't like how the rumored bezel is thinner on the sides for the iPad mini. i think it's a poor design.

22. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I must be holding my iPad in a strange way.

It has a snap on case and I regularly wipe fingerprints as they build up but see very very few on the black bezel area.

When I do hold it say on a train watching a film in landscape mode my four fingers on each hand are behind the device and the inner side of my thumbs sit comfortably supporting the two sides together with the part of my palm at the base of my thumbs.

If I was carrying the device say while walking and it was 'on' and it had no case then maybe a thumb would intrude onto the side bezel but in 2 years I have never used the iPad like that.

Ditching or reducing the bezels will be no problem for me.