How do you guys feel about Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevento, Nov 1, 2010.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I've always had a disposition for windows ever since I started using Macs. But they (friends, family) say Windows 7 really is something worth using and not a total load of crap like Vista.

I need to get a new laptop tomorrow. I just now heard about Lion coming out in the summer, so now is so not the time to be buying a new MacBook Pro for $1800.

So I need to get a PC (so I can get a brand new computer for under $600).
    Should I get a Linux distro instead or just use the Windows 7 that's already on there?

Just give me your opinions about Windows 7. Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I really like it. Have it on my netbook and bootcamped on my three iMacs. It's fast and bug free. Some great usability features too. Needs a multicore CPU to work it's best.

3. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's faster than any of my machines so it should run great.

5. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Windows 7 is frikkin' awesome. I use Windows 7 on my desktop and OS X on my laptop. Win 7 is on par with, if not better than MacOS X, if you ask me.

6. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

How are you guys handling virus/trojans etc?
    I've been on a mac for four years now during which time I've never thought about viruses.
    Anybody know of any free virus protection software out there?
    Like OpenOffice is a free version of Microsoft Office ($150), Celtx is a free version of Final Draft ($200). Something like that.
    I need a new computer, but I cannot stand the idea of paying for virus protection, because I haven't done it in so long.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There is a long thread on the Windows on a Mac sub forum about anti virus. I like Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free, fast and fairly effective.

8. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

My favorite is "Common Sense 2010" :D

I've always used AVG Free.

9. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I dont even run AV software. The only thing you need to really wory about is user installed trojans (on both platforms)

Self replicating viruses are pretty rare.

That said, I keep MSE on hand as an on demand scanner for questionable files and keep my browsers up to date with ad blocking also.

10. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

MS Security Essentials gets excellent reviews, and I've heard that the free anti-spyware programs Ad-Aware from Lavasoft and Spybot Search and Destroy are considered the best at what they do by a lot of reviewers.

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

Windows 7 is awesome, and way easier to use than Mac OS 10. Multitasking and the taskbar is far more organized and easy to use than the doc.

For security, windows defender (antispyware) and windows firewall are on by default. For antivirus, I use Mcafee enterprise edition because my work gives it for free. Otherwise I would use either microsoft security essentials which is free, or Mcafee from my broadband provider, which is also free.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Mac OS X was great around version 10.3 and 10.4, but since 10.5 Apple seems like they're trying to make it too much like Windows, and it's lost its unique OS X like feel... it's starting to feel too generic.

Another vote for Windows 7.

13. jbzoom macrumors newbie

Windows 7 not so hot

Not sure I agree that W7 is any good - it's better than XP and much better than Vista but the wide variety of W7 implementations means that support, particularly for network stuff will get harder and harder. We don't know if the tendency of Windows systems to get slower with age is eliminated - probably not - and as for portable device / windows integration, W7 for mobile is 2 generations behind iOS and Android. Finally, OSX updates are not a reason to delay buying a Mac like they are with a PC. The upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard cost $30 and worked just fine for me. I can't see Lion being any different. By contrast most windows laptops are stuck with the wimplementation they started with.

14. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

First, Ill tell you straight up, neither W7 nor Vista have slowed down at all over the year Ive used them.

Second, what is this network stuff you are talking about?

Third, what do mobile OS's have to do with Windows 7? AFAIK iOS is fully supported in Windows, and Android/WP7 are better supported. Ask my GF who syncs her Android to my Windows 7 PC.

Fourth, what is your experience with Windows 7?

Fifth, you can upgrade to the next revision of Windows easily, just as it has always been. What are you talking about "being stuck with the wimplementation they started with?"

Please get your anti-Microsoft UNEDUCATED OPINIONS and LIES out of here.

15. SidBala macrumors 6502a

What network stuff? A significant chunk of businesses run MS's server products. They run network stuff quite well.

W7 for mobile? There is no such thing. If you mean Windows Phone 7, then it is a bit foolish to assess a product that is not even fully out yet. Even so, they have excellent integration - awesome exchange integration, office integration, and completely redesigned revolutionary UI, to name a few.

False.

You are just randomly spewing nonsense. If you really wanted to trash windows, I suggest you do some research and find valid points instead of making up your own BS.

BTW: Don't mistake me for a windows fanboy. In my household, there are 3 iPhones, an iPod touch, a Macbook Pro 17, a BlackBook and an iPad.

It is just that I am allergic to BS.

16. vistadude macrumors 65816

If you want to talk about outdated, look at Apple's implementation of Safari compared to firefox or opera. Safari is 3 generations outdated. Next look at Outlook for windows, no "Mac" software manufacturer nor Apple can make a good program for calender, contacts, email, and tasks other than microsoft. And look at Apple's gaming capabilities - way behind windows computers. Windows computers are far more upgradeable than Macintoshes which have been stuck with the same OS 10 for nearly a decade. You still can't even maximize programs..

17. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I just realized something about the upgradability part. 10.6 wont run on PPC hardware - hardware that was selling only 5 years ago. The original iPhone, which started selling only 3 years ago, can't run iOS4. This makes jbzoom's post even more BS.

In comparison, my HTPC and NAS run Windows 7 and WHS perfectly on nearly 6 year old hardware.

I LOL'd at that IRL.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i like it. much more refined and faster than Vista and many settings have been simplified much like how the settings are on a Mac.

hate the aero theme though. so glassy and hard to tell which is the active window. turning aero off makes the UI too bland and you lose peek and jump lists.

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

Just a little tip, change the window color to green or dark green and it'll be a lot easier to see active windows.

20. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

I'm running windows 7 on an i3 notebook. Usually to run office 2010 and a few other things. I thinks it great. I got a good deal on the notebook and just went for it. No probs at all. Now I've de-partitioned my mac hard drive, deleted xp and office 07 and got some space back.

21. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Windows 7 is an okay OS. Feels a lot like what Vista should have been though.

I'd pay for it though over having a copy of Vista, for the speeded up graphics subsystem and the better multitasking support. And I would never buy XP for a modern system.

22. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Don't turn off Aero, turn off transparency.

[​IMG]

23. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i never used windows 7 i made a u-turn when vista came out to linux
    but in terms of anti virus , i always felt safe with kaspersky
    and i recommend the Mac version too ... just in case you run windows on your Mac

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Windows 7 is the best incarnation of Windows I've ever been forced to use. :apple:

25. 3runjosh macrumors member

if you buy a macbook pro now and want lion it will only be a$30 upgrade.. lol