How do you guys get some of your workouts in your Activity?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Barbs, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Barbs macrumors 6502

I take Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu classes 3 times per week. I’ve been going into Apple health afterwards and adding it manually as they have a martial arts option. I can’t wear my watch while I’m class as it could get damaged or worse yet it could hurt someone else.

When I walk into the academy, I login to a computer, my class then shows up in an app called MINDBODY. From what I can tell, I can’t link this app to activity or Apple health.

Just curious had you guys handle something like this.

2. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Wear a heart rate monitor paired to your phone.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Not going to work with BJJ either. It would without a doubt get ripped off.

Manually entering it is probably your only option. Is that even possible?

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

5. snortpig macrumors regular

I've been looking for a good way to record my BJJ workouts as well. There are a few apps but they tend to cram everything but the kitchen sink into them (ie. technique tutorial videos, social networking, badges, etc). One of the ones I tried doesn't even render correctly on my iPhone SE.

Right now I am using shortcuts to add manually to apple health but it would be cool if there was an app that let you enter a basic BJJ workout and calculated calories using MET (metabolic equivalent) ie. 10 mins of warmup, 20 minutes of drilling, then 5 x 6 minute rounds of rolling.

My goal these days is just to make it to 3x classes per week so my ideal app would show some sort of average or graph of how frequently you are going, longest period off etc.

6. Barbs thread starter macrumors 6502

I’d like to learn more how you have shortcuts setup to do this.

7. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

I'm intrigued about using shortcuts for this type of activity and would also be interested in how you've implemented it.

I do Tai Chi twice a week, and use the 'yoga' workout setting to track this. I start it by saying to my Watch "Start a yoga workout session". Interested to find out what else a shortcut can add...

TBH I've struggled to find a good real world use for shortcuts so far. (I really don't see the draw in saying "I'm on my way" and having my iPhone message my wife on my ETA, etc. She'd just tell me to naff off messaging her every evening :D)

8. snortpig macrumors regular

Essentially what my shortcut does is ask you how long your workout was, and use that to calculate (along with some constants called METs or Metabolic equivalents) how many calories you burned. It then logs a new workout with that info.

I've never tried sharing a shortcut before so hopefully this works: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b6cd6b06f7c848f1a4f004c1759fa92d

For my sport (jiu jitsu) I've actually started working on my own app that does essentially the same thing with a few more bells and whistles, like grabbing your weight from HealthKit.

9. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

That's really cool, actually. I never thought of using a shortcut like that. Thanks for sharing, and yes - it imports into my Shortcuts app! I'll have a play and will try to create one for my Tai Chi using yours as a base.

10. Barbs thread starter macrumors 6502

So very cool! For some reason it records the workout as being the length of just the warm up. Would you be willing to write me a shortcut that would just simply ask me the date and time the class started? And then ask me the length of the class in minutes. And that’s all? It would then record my class in the martial arts category on the date and time and end after the # of minutes I specified. And it would default the total calories that I plugged in as the default.

I tried doing this but felt like a dummy. Couldn’t get it to work.