How do you guys handle 2 user accounts on Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm fairly new to Mac's and loving it so far and I'm very excited to be receiving my 27" iMac tomorrow and since this computer is going to be shared amongst my wife and myself. What is the best way on Mac's to handle 2 users?

The only concern I'm wondering about is email contacts, Internet bookmarks and possibly a few other small things.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Use seperate accounts? You can switch between them, both are logged in, but it keeps all your files/bookmarks etc seperate.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Just create two accounts. Applications settings are account-specific so each of you would have separate contacts, bookmarks etc. Turn on fast user switching from the users accounts settings.

What exactly is your concern?

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Outside of mobileme, to my knowledge there isnt anyway that you can keep the bookmarks etc in check.. without some serious finder digging and copying and pasting, at regular intervals.

In terms of managing the computing power effectively-Make sure you turn of auto-login on bootup. and enable fast user switching- means that you can have 2 users up and running at the same time. The other user is merely deactivated until you switch back. You can find both those preferences under accounts under login options.

If your doing any processor intensive stuff- videos, HD, Photos, you might wanna log out of the other user, will save you some clock speed among other things :)

Hope that helps

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

exactly, create 2 separate user accounts, then file share your public folders or whatever folders with your wife and vise versa.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Those seem like the answers I was hoping for, THANKS!