How do you guys keep your rMBP's clean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forza69, Mar 4, 2013.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I have the 15inch model that I bought in December. I'm starting to notice the trackpad and the palm rests looking a bit streaky. Any special solution you use or do you just rub on it till it's clean with a microfiber? What do you guys do to keep dirt out of the vents above the keyboard? Basically, what do you do to keep your MBP looking like new?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Some tips:
    1. Rub it nice and clean with the microfiber Apple provided with your machine. Keep it clean frequently so oils don't sit for too long.

2. The best way to prevent oils on the keyboard and trackpad is to use an external keyboard and mouse. On the go, it's obviously inconvenient. But when I'm at home at my desk, I almost always use an external mouse (much greater control, too).

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Not to mention reduced wear on your MacBook's palm rests, keyboard and trackpad. +1,000.

As for cleaning, I have a spray bottle full of distilled water (although tap water is probably fine as well). Turn the machine off, spray a small bit of water onto the included Apple microfiber cloth and go to town. To keep the microfiber clean I use the same water, pour some into a bowl with a very small amount of laundry detergent and scrub it clean, rinse off again then let it dry.

5. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Order iklear from either they're website or off Amazon. Its fantastic! I use it on my rMBP, my iPad, my iPhone, basically all of my devices.

I have the one that came with a few of they're awesome blue micro fiber cloths, 2 bottles of solution...a big one to leave home, and a smaller one that I leave in my bag. Honestly this is the best product I've ever used as far as keeping my screens clean and wiping fingerprints, etc off my aluminum Mac book and other devices.

6. Trubbles macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure "iKlear" is just distilled (AKA super clean) water with a pair of microfibre cloths.

That's all you need - microfibre cloths and distilled water. Dampen the cloth and rub gently.

Also, I use a keyboard protector/cover. My old computer's keyboard was full of crumbs and dust and dirt. Now I keep the cover on, except once a week I take it off and wash it with dish soap. Now it's always clean!

7. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Nahh man, I've used a lot of cleaners through out the years and iklear leaves absolutely no film or smudges after its wiped off...For $20 bucks what more can you ask for.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I toss mine in the dishwasher on the pots and pans cycle.... comes out clean as a wistle!

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Oh and, simple common sense will go a long way, too. Don't eat or drink near it and wash your hands after eating. This will prevent greases, oils, and crumbs from transferring over.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

My way's even better. Assuring it stays like new.

I wear surgical gloves, remove it from the case & gently place it on the desk, opening it slowly.

Next while admiring how beautiful it is...

I whip out my cheap Dell and get my work done :)

12. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Whatever floats your boat :D