How do you guys like my video?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techlover828, Jun 11, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

It's a video for health, we had to do a public service announcement. This is only like my third movie with imovie and I didn't have a ton of time to do it. Anyway, my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOkQ84EF9Y

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... Ok first the good news, the opening is very dramatic and attention getting and the use of static images, music and sound effects (like at the end) are quite good.

However, I got the distinct impression that your video was glorifying Teen Suicide, and the prevention hotline number at the end was almost counter to the visual and audio message of the video!

Instead of using such dramatic background music, I'd go for a much softer, and perhaps mournful musical backdrop (maybe along the lines of Pink Flyod's "Mother", or U2's "Stay") If you don't have much time for a 'do over' then changing the background music would probably give you the most bang for your buck.

3. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

That's about how I felt as well. The music was exciting and entertaining instead of thought provoking. The gun shot was tacky and in-line with 'glorifying.'

Also, about 4+ seconds of black right at the beginning is a bit distracting.

Good use of iMovie though.

4. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

well like you said.. youre new and didnt take that much time to make this..

heres some pointers:

it seemed more like an ad for an action movie.. instead of an outreach for suicide prevention..

also since its a video.. use video.. not just pictures that float around.

and the text was difficult to read at points..

remove the long pauses and maybe think of lowering the saturation a bit to make it more 'dark' or gloomy.

just some quick fixes that might help! unless this was already due and our advice wont help any haha

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

In the OP's defense I think they had images in mind of common things teens would use/attempt. With that in mind a simple, direct static shot (with a mild Ken Burns effect?) has the ability to convey the idea without too much confusion. I guess with youtube you can find video of almost anything, but searching for videos featuring the same items, and theme could be difficult and video can easily convey more complex themes that the OP didn't want to highlight.

Other than that minor caveat, I agree with your points kymac. :)

6. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

By the way, techlover828, let us know how it is received. Hope it goes well.

7. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

I fully agree that the background music doesn't fit the theme of your video. To give you an idea how it could be done differently, try the following: Open Johnny Cash's video "Hurt" in a new window. Now turn down the volume for your video and start it when the Cash video is at about 57s.

Concentrate only on your video. The timing isn't perfect, and maybe a picture of a grave instead of the noose would agree better with the lyrics. But it's a start.

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

On a side note... wow, that's a powerful video. I've never seen it but a big Johnny Cash fan. Thanks for sharing that.

9. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

I wouldn't say I am a big fan of Johnny Cash, but this song is delivered so powerful, it makes me shiver every time I hear it.

10. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

well I got a 100, it was much better than everyone elses, everyone liked it, that doesn't mean it was that great though, it could have been a lot better if I had put more time into it.

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii