How do you guys like the Otterbox Defender for the 6/6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 55test55, Nov 7, 2014.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

I've heard reports of it scratching the screen--is this true? If not this case, can anyone recommend any other nice protective cases? Thanks!

2. carreragt7 macrumors regular

The defender is a very nice, albeit bulky, case. The main issue with screen scratching comes from dirt and other stuff rubbing between the built-in screen protector and the actual phone screen, the trick around this is to just put a regular screen protector on the phone and then put the defender on.

If you're worried about liquid, I would recommend waiting for the Lifeproof nuud, or the Lifeproof fre. I prefer the nuud case. Not much (if any) bulkier than the defender but more levels of protection.

Hope this helps.

3. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! I'm not actually sure I can wait, unfortunately. :( Are you advocating removing the built in screen protector then?

4. carreragt7 macrumors regular

I've seen that done, but no. You just put a regular screen protector on the phone and then the built-in protector goes over it. Double the protection, keeps the actual screen from scratching.

5. AE14 macrumors 65816

I removed it. Very easy process and left my glass sp with the case. Honestly my favorite case presently.

6. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Bocatrip macrumors member

I replaced my Otterbox Defender for my iphone 6 three times hoping Otterbox would improve the design flaws. No such luck, however I still find this case to be my best option as it happens to be the most rugged case out there and for me that is the most important reason for having this case. I am totally secure in knowing this expensive phone is fully protected.

8. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

My sister has the Defender for her iPhone 6. The feel and quality is a lot better than that of their iPhone 5 version, which had sharp edges and scratched my face while talking. I've written them off since then.

9. Thunderjet063 macrumors newbie

My boss has one on his 6. The extra screen protector built into the Defender doesn't quite touch the screen on the phone. He finds he has to press extra hard to activate his phone screen. He's utterly disappointed.

10. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

not a big fan of otter box. had it on my iPhone 4S before and never bought it again. it's so bulky and it's so hard to slide in and out of your pockets due to it's rubberized body. don't get me wrong, it sure is a really good protection for you iPhone but i didn't like it.

11. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. KenB macrumors member

KenB

I haven't seen the 6 or 6+ version yet. I had both the iPhone 4, and iPhone 5 versions, and was satisfied with both products. It's a great case if you use the included belt clip, not so great if you keep your phone in your pocket. The belt clip broke twice on my iPhone 5 case, and both times was replaced free, under warranty. The silicone/rubber skin tore on the iPhone 4 case, and was also replaced under warranty.

I found the integrated screen protector to be adequate. The only real problem I had with it was that the screen was recessed so deeply in the case, that I had trouble hitting the edges of the screen sometimes.

13. BlendedFrog macrumors regular

I have to admit that it is the same on the 6+ defender case. I think it has to do with the new curved glass that is on the phone. The case itself though is outstanding.

I am thinking of taking off the plastic screen protector and going with one of the protective glass options.

14. Thunderjet063 macrumors newbie

On my "old" 4S, I had a Defender that I popped the screen protector out of and did just that. I went with the stick on protector yet still had all the rubberized protection around the phone. Good idea. But too bad for the money, they don't perform up to expectations.

15. Jzo macrumors regular

I love it on my 6 Plus. It does make it bigger, which is a little bummer, but expected.

I removed the built-in screen protector and am using my own. There's didn't sit flush on the screen, and I hate the hard plasticy feeling.