How do you guys like your rMBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteIphone5, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Im thinking of not ordering the 27" because of the wait 3-4 is alot specially since ill be writing papers. So im thinking i should get rMBP 15". I'm wondering how you guys like it so far, performance wise. Can it take on lots of app at the same time like a champ? i heard it can power 3 displays, any lag i should know about? Thank you
    and is 8GB/16GB of Ram enough for you?

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

I ordered mine BTO due to my resource intense work, 16GB ram & a 512GB SSD were must haves. There's no lag whatsoever, I like it just fine. The 15" MBPr is the best size for my needs.

3. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

i cant see the scores at Geekbench, do you happen to have the App? what was the score?

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

Benchmark scores are simply points of reference. In real world use, often the actual overall performance is less than achieved in the narrow focus benchmarks. I know this based on years of buying and comparing new Macs. Putting them through their paces doing the resource intense, demanding work I do.

Therefore I only read them & take the info in as one of many criterion I look for.

5. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

if u had the chance to trade for a maxed out iMac 27 would u?

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

No chance. Without a second thought. MBPr's are too good.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Excellent. Had it since it came out. Lower performance than my previous desktops, but hardly rubbish in any way. As a desktop replacement there's nothing to touch it.

8. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The best computer I've ever owned hands down. The power was the reason I initially bought it, but the combination of that with portability, longevity, durability, tactile experience (keyboard and trackpad are second to none), quietness, and display quality put it out of the league of any other laptop.

Granted, a MacBook Air hits almost all of those points, but it's not as complete a package as the Retina 15".

Would I trade for an iMac? That's tempting, but I think a Thunderbolt display would meet my needs just as well and at a third the price. Interestingly, a 27" iMac configured the way I would want it costs exactly the same as my Retina (2800 USD).

9. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

What Asuriyan said but I wouldn't even think about an iMac over the rMBP. I've been without a laptop for 6 years and I decided to go for an iMac instead of a MBP back in 2007. I love the machine but the lack of portability killed me. If I wanted to go to a cafe or a friend's house, I couldn't take it with me (I did it but, come on, it's an iMac).. And the fact that I got to the point of taking the iMac out of the house was good enough proof that I needed a MBP. I ended up buying the Retina when it came out and, boy, I'm in love since.

10. ksowder macrumors newbie

I love mine, had it since July. Had it replaced after a month for a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, but besides that no issues. During the day I word process and browse the web, along with some light coding and I get 8 hrs of battery no problem with screen at 60% brightness. At night it has the power to do some video editing and gaming. The best (mobile) computer I have owned.

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

We love ours. My wife and I both have them...and are in the process of going the opposite direction. We are replacing our business iMacs with the rMBPs.

It's an awesome laptop

No regrets, no lag, nothing I've run into that it isn't very fast at doing. I suppose that's par for the course when you're buying into the latest generation technology...but even this past weekend, it amazed me. I had a 352mb update to M/S Office. I had two iMacs and one of the rMBPs to update. I literally hit 'Start' simultaneously (for the update) on one of each. The rMBPs write speeds are fascinating. We've also got a 2010 and 2011 MBA (11"). The rMBPs smoke those as well. I think the 2012 Air has quicker R/W speeds...but the difference between the 'spinners' and SSD is phenomenal. The display is equally revolutionary (to me and my 42 year old eyes). USB3 and twin ThunderBolt connectivity is incredible, the processing power...amazing. Love 'em! Looking forward to what the 2nd generation will bring.

J

12. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

One of the best computer's I've had. Battery life is amazing, it's thinner than the thickest point of the MacBook Air, it's a powerhouse, and the screen is just gorgeous. Couldn't be happier with it.

13. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

is the 16GB ram worth it? ill be programming, video editing and using photoshop maybe some FCPX.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love my rMBP, and I opted for the 16gb version. My usage doesn't take advantage of the 16gb, but I figured I'd play it safe since I'm planning on keeping the laptop for 4 to 5 years and the memory is soldered onto the logic board.

15. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

This.

I know I don't use the 16GB now but it's not upgradeable so, in 5/6 years, I want it to be running as good as possible. That won't happen with only 8GB.

16. zosobao5150 macrumors member

Love mine.

I got the 8GB because I am easily able to operate multiple applications within that bandwidth. I will have upgraded my computer within 5-6 years when 16GB may or may not be needed.

17. bmunge macrumors regular

I love mine. The power is fantastic.

I got the BTO with 16GB RAM and the 2.6 GHz processor upgrade. I am a Java/iOS developer and sometimes do minor things in Photoshop. I can run Eclipse, XCode, Photoshop, Chrome with several tabs, a Windows instance in Parallels with Eclipse and Chrome running, and Spotify with no noticeable lag. The screen is absolutely stunning and great for long programming sessions. I often prefer to use my 15" retina display over my 25" external display just due to the text sharpness. Also if you are an iOS developer you can use the simulator for retina models in all their glory, without the annoying stretching you see on non-retina displays.

I originally was considering waiting for the 27" iMac but I'm so glad I went for the rMBP. It's an absolutely amazing machine. It's power, screen resolution, portability, weight, and battery life are all top of the line.

18. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

im currently stuck at this :( not sure which i should go for ughhh

19. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I got a great deal on a refurbished first gen. base model and it is a fantastic machine. It's just the 2.3GHz, 8GB, 256GB but still packs quite a wallop. I really wish I could have found the 16GB BTO in the refurbs but alas there wasn't. The 8GB is perfectly sufficient for photography and RAW editing using Aperture. I'm not sure about video however but I only do extremely minor video work. If you can get the 16GB I would, but don't discount the 8GB either as it's still a formidable machine.