How do you guys tether to your phones

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr M5, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

I want to use my android phone for a wi fi connection to my iPad. In the past for my Mac I used pdanet which I get does not work on the iPad. I saw some posts on mywifi?

I'm looking for something cheap or better free with no hacks.

Thanks for all your help.

2. v654321 macrumors member

I've successfully tethered my 2010 MBP over Wi-Fi with my Android phone (Villain ROM 2.8 running on HTC Desire). I was easily able to browse the internet using my phones' HDSPA connection tethered over Wi-Fi.

Just set up a portable hotspot on Android and connect to that one with your iPad.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I pay Verizon for a tethering plan and I just click the option on my phone... :rolleyes:

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Seamlessly via AT&T's hotspot. Used to have unlimited and MyWi but was tired of the dropped sessions. I have yet to approach 4GB and appreciate the ease this setup offers.

6. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

That's where TetherMe comes handy - it uses the iOS built-in hotspot, so it's as stable as you can get.

7. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody like my self that does not have a rooted/jailbroken phone that does not want to pay extra to their carrier :):D

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Yeah, me. Also don't want to pay for my iPad. Or my house payment. Any ideas?

9. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Come on man no need to be like that.

PDA net was and is a great way to teether my mac to my phone for free. The cell carriers make a killing, i see no need to pay more for something I will never get my money out of.

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Apple makes a killing, too. So does the bank that holds my mortgage. I'm no defender of cellular carriers. They're rapacious vultures. But Verizon Wireless is a rapacious vulture with whom I signed a contract. My signature signifies a commitment on my part as well as theirs. If VZW decided to fail to live up to their commitment and demanded that I continue to pay them, explaining that I don't really "need" the service I pay for, I'd be outraged. I suspect you would be as well.

11. mystik610 macrumors regular

12. NTeggerdine macrumors member

I love MyWi it's easy to use and tethering my iPhone 4 to my iPad 2 works flawlessly.

13. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

But are you paying for the "hot spot" feature?

14. mystik610 macrumors regular

Paying to use the 2gb of data I've already paid for? nope

15. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

NICE!

How did you get pda net to connect to the iPad? Blu tooth I assume, but I tried that and it would not let me connect. Something else?

16. mystik610 macrumors regular

I connect via WiFi hotspot. Works like a charm.

17. bobright macrumors 601

Same here also have never got any letters from ATT about them noticing it and wanting to add a tether plan. Though I don't abuse it so YMMV.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Me.
    I use my VirginMobile LG Optimus V (Android smartphone) with the free QuickSettings app to enable my phone to be a wifi hotspot. It works great with my (non-3G) iPad 2. No additional fees anywhere in this setup.

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Free tethering here in Canada for data plans over 1GB. Nice.

20. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I guess. if you're happy being a thief. But, please. Don't sugar coat it, you're talking about theft.

21. RenoG macrumors 65816

Regardless...

If you're not officially signed up for a tether plan your carrier will catch up to you and give you warnings. If you don't stop they will apply a tether plan to your bill. I had MyWi for a year and a half before they started sending me threats. No more tether for me and I refuse to pay for my data twice.

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

while we are having this discussion, I don't want to pay for my mortgage and insurance. I am looking for a way of getting around it. I don't want to steal money or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks for starting this thread. I really needed it.

23. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

This post makes sense :rolleyes:

24. shingi70 macrumors regular

Tmobile has Tethering apart of thier normal data plan. I think that may have changed, but as far as i can tell Pure Google phones (droid,Nexus 1 and S, G2, G2x) weren't allowed to get the update. I tether all the time and its considered apart of my unlimited plan.

25. err404 macrumors 68020

To be fair, the tethering plan is 4GB. The price of 4 GB is the same with or without tethering.