Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr M5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
I want to use my android phone for a wi fi connection to my iPad. In the past for my Mac I used pdanet which I get does not work on the iPad. I saw some posts on mywifi?

I'm looking for something cheap or better free with no hacks.

Thanks for all your help.

v654321

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Vilvoorde, Belgium
I've successfully tethered my 2010 MBP over Wi-Fi with my Android phone (Villain ROM 2.8 running on HTC Desire). I was easily able to browse the internet using my phones' HDSPA connection tethered over Wi-Fi.

Just set up a portable hotspot on Android and connect to that one with your iPad.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Seamlessly via AT&T's hotspot. Used to have unlimited and MyWi but was tired of the dropped sessions. I have yet to approach 4GB and appreciate the ease this setup offers.

Mr M5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Anybody like my self that does not have a rooted/jailbroken phone that does not want to pay extra to their carrier :):D

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Anybody like my self that does not have a rooted/jailbroken phone that does not want to pay extra to their carrier :):D

Yeah, me. Also don't want to pay for my iPad. Or my house payment. Any ideas?

Mr M5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Yeah, me. Also don't want to pay for my iPad. Or my house payment. Any ideas?

Come on man no need to be like that.

PDA net was and is a great way to teether my mac to my phone for free. The cell carriers make a killing, i see no need to pay more for something I will never get my money out of.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011

PDA net was and is a great way to teether my mac to my phone for free. The cell carriers make a killing, i see no need to pay more for something I will never get my money out of.

Apple makes a killing, too. So does the bank that holds my mortgage. I'm no defender of cellular carriers. They're rapacious vultures. But Verizon Wireless is a rapacious vulture with whom I signed a contract. My signature signifies a commitment on my part as well as theirs. If VZW decided to fail to live up to their commitment and demanded that I continue to pay them, explaining that I don't really "need" the service I pay for, I'd be outraged. I suspect you would be as well.

Mr M5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Paying to use the 2gb of data I've already paid for? nope

NICE!

How did you get pda net to connect to the iPad? Blu tooth I assume, but I tried that and it would not let me connect. Something else?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Me.
I use my VirginMobile LG Optimus V (Android smartphone) with the free QuickSettings app to enable my phone to be a wifi hotspot. It works great with my (non-3G) iPad 2. No additional fees anywhere in this setup.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

I guess. if you're happy being a thief. But, please. Don't sugar coat it, you're talking about theft.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Regardless...

If you're not officially signed up for a tether plan your carrier will catch up to you and give you warnings. If you don't stop they will apply a tether plan to your bill. I had MyWi for a year and a half before they started sending me threats. No more tether for me and I refuse to pay for my data twice.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
while we are having this discussion, I don't want to pay for my mortgage and insurance. I am looking for a way of getting around it. I don't want to steal money or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks for starting this thread. I really needed it.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
while we are having this discussion, I don't want to pay for my mortgage and insurance. I am looking for a way of getting around it. I don't want to steal money or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks for starting this thread. I really needed it.

This post makes sense :rolleyes:

shingi70

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Tmobile has Tethering apart of thier normal data plan. I think that may have changed, but as far as i can tell Pure Google phones (droid,Nexus 1 and S, G2, G2x) weren't allowed to get the update. I tether all the time and its considered apart of my unlimited plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.