how do you guys use your phone app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psywzrd, Aug 8, 2008.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm coming from a Treo so I'm trying to figure out how most of you actually make calls with the iphone (one thing the Treo clearly has over the iphone is ease of use as far as diailng your contacts). Let's say you have a friend named John Smith who isn't "important" enough to be one of your favorites but you do call him on a somewhat frequent basis. Do you go straight to the contacts app and start typing his first or last name? Do you just scroll down to his name in the contacts app? Do you tap on the "s" along the right side of the contacts screen? Or do you guys just go to the phone app and then go to the contacts app from there?

Basically, what seems to be the quickest and easiest way to dial contacts whose number you don't have memorized?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I tap on the letters on the right hand side of the contacts portion of the "Phone" application. Alternatively, I have groups set up with specific contacts in them for fast access

3. snook911 macrumors 6502a

+1

4. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I put the persons picture on my homescreen. When i press it, it calls the person. I have a whole page of contacts.

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Jailbroken, right? Apple should make this a standard option.

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Yes, and it should be a standard option just like the web apps on the home screen.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I press the phone button on the homescreen. Then, 'Contacts.'

IF it's at the top of the list I start typing the name in the search bar. 3 letters usually does it.

If I'm returning to it and it's on some other letter down the list, then I use the alphabet bar on the right to just find the name. It's faster than going all the way to the top to search.

So it depends on how the screen looks when I get to it.

8. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I keep the contacts app on my dock. When ever i need to call someone who isn't on my favorites, i tap it, and go to their name, and call. If the person is in my favorites, i double tap the home button and i go straight to my favorites. If i need to actually dial a number/check my recents/check voice mail, then i go straight to the phone app.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That.

I'm coming from a Treo too, and I liked how the contacts search was done on that, but after a couple of weeks, I'm used to the way I do "non-favorites" on the iPhone.

10. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I'd actually like to see Apple implement dialing contacts via the dial pad as well. Dial 5-6-4-6 for J-O-H-N and you can just use your finger to scroll to the right one and dial. That's the way it was on my Touch and it's pretty effective when you don't have the benefit of a hard QWERTY. They could also add a way to dial from the onscreen keyboard just like you can with the Treo's hard QWERTY. Add some kind of keyboard/phone icon that brings up the phone app with the onscreen keyboard and start typing the person's name. The more options the better, right?