How do you handle spaces with multiple monitors?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by NP Hard, Apr 18, 2014.

1. NP Hard macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm very happy with the fact that now all of my screens have menu bars at the top (this is very handy). However, what I'm not pleased about is how every monitor has its own set of Spaces, and that you can't seem to have the old Spaces configuration (i.e. Lion, Mountain Lion) without giving up the menu bars on both screens.

I use my laptop with an external screen, positioned above the laptop and I've now found spaces unusable with Mavericks as it doesn't fit with my workflow.

On Mountain Lion, I used the following:

- Main space (usually whatever I'm working in Terminal or MATLAB, sometimes with some documentation in the browser).

- Communication space (IRC, Messages, Skype, Mail)

- Organisation space (Calendar, Wunderlist)

- Audio (iTunes, Spotify, Downcast)

- Spare Space (whatever else, sometimes I'd send the browser here if I didn't need to view documentation whilst I work).

In each of these, I'd spread the windows across both screens (organized with Moom) to suit myself, but on Mavericks I can't do this unless I relinquish having menu bars available on both screens (something which I find invaluable). I'm wanting to upgrade my work-issued Macbook Pro to Mavericks (currently on ML) but I'm reluctant as I'll lose these abilities unless I can find a way to retrain myself.

So, my question is, how do others use Spaces on multiple monitors?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If I understand what you are saying, you love the new Menu Bar and Dock on either display, but you don't like how each display has its own space and all the displays do not move.

Try opening System Preferences --> Mission Control --> uncheck "Displays Have Separate Spaces". This will revert to the ML style, but still offer the new Dock and Menu Bar improvements.

Hope it helps...

3. NP Hard thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I tried this and it removes the menu bar on my second screen. I wonder if it's because I use a vertical monitor arrangement (i.e. my laptop is below my external screen).

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Interesting. I am going to keep looking but I believe that is the best solution unless you are okay with keeping the windows entirely contained to one monitor.

5. NP Hard thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that this feature does not do what we'd like to think it does.

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/10/disable-second-menu-bar-os-x-mavericks/

I just experimented with this again and yep, no second menu bar despite unified spaces.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose