How do you handle video game talkers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sdilley14, Jan 17, 2014.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

This is kind of a funny topic. I'm just curious how others handle "video game talkers". I'll give an example to better illustrate my question.

I have a friend staying at my house. I'm sitting in a chair in the TV room, messing around on my phone, totally disengaged from him and what is going on. He is on the couch playing PS4. With every basket/turnover/foul/whatever on NBA 2k comes a remark..."Wow, that's ridiculous!" "What the heck, why didn't he shoot it?!" "Sweet move, haha, got him!!". And with every remark like that comes a glance over at me, expecting me to acknowledge what happened, expecting me to make some type of agreeing remark.

For the most part I just keep my head down, concentrating on what I'm doing, and just leave him hanging with his remarks, lol. But every once in a while I peer my head up and "chime in" to make him feel better, lol.

This happens a lot, and I think this funny and slightly awkward dynamic has happened with a lot of people.

How do you handle the video game talker? What are your general thoughts on it?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Lol...naaaaah!

Strangely, I almost enjoy watching people play games more than actually playing them myself. Especially after a long day of work when all I want to do is mentally "check out" for a while.

----------

It isn't obnoxious or bothersome enough that I need to leave the room - just kind of silly and awkward. Plus, I don't really have any other good areas in the house to move around to when I want to sit and lounge around.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then just ignore them and continue to focus on Angry Birds on your phone.:p;)

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My brother does this. He screams, yells, sings, and talks. It's worse when his friend comes over. They do this until 6AM. :eek: They actually woke me up last time. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I put my headphones on, or I just go to the living room. I let my parents handle it.

7. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not really the fact that he is talking/yelling that bothers me, I can easily tune that out. He does it in such a way that it makes you feel like you need to acknowledge it and chime in...even though I'm not paying any attention and don't really care, lol.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Humanity feels your pain. Shall future generations be advised and learn from such terrible experiences.

Thank you deeply for sharing your story with us.

9. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Lol, not saying that it is a painful experience or anything like that, just a goofy, semi-awkward situation I feel many have been subjected to, and I thought I would comment on it.

Thank you for your sympathy though. ;)