Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Where did you install Lion?

• Total voters

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Just curious.
- Internal HDD/SSD. By overwriting my previous OS (can be clean install or upgrade). (e.g. Snow Leopard)
- Internal HDD/SSD. By making a new partition and installing it there.
- External HDD/SSD. Erased HDD and just installed it.
- External HDD/SSD. Repartitioned to not lose any data and installed on a new partition.
- USB-stick/SD-card.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Partitioned my internal HD. No way I would have beta as my only OS and externals are slow, especially since I only have USB ones. To be honest, I haven't booted into SL after installing Lion.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have FOUR externals connected to my Mac right now. 1 for SL Time Machine, 1 for Lion, 1 for Lion Time Machine, and 1 for shared storage.

Tharian

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
Nice thread! I have a partition on my internal and am using it every moment of the day.

Lion rocks.

-d

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Internal on the SSD. If it gets unbearable I can always go back to Snow Leopard, but so far though it's been great.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Hmmm, seems I may have read it wrong, I mistook "partition" as meaning another partition on your main HDD/SSD and glanced over the "external" and "internal" points. Yeah, been a long day, and being blond ain't helping lol

Last edited by a moderator:

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
I took a 1TB external (the small form factor model from WD), created two partitions on it, then installed Lion on one of the two partitions. It runs remarkably well, albeit just a tad slow in some aspects, but I have no major issues and it even goes to sleep! I was unable to install iStat Menus 2 (the last free version), some of the previously-installed apps from the Mac App Store (installed on my internal HDD), or use iProxy, but I really, really like Lion and can't wait for it to be released.

I ran Geekbench and, while I didn't expect a great score, only scored 3661 on a late-2008 MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6 GB RAM). I'll just put that down to Lion being installed on an external USB2 device.

One thing I really liked was that when you download an app from the Mac App Store, instead of the app being installed in your dock, Launchpad is invoked and the app gets "installed" there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-03-12 at 5.52.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-03-12 at 5.52.56 PM.png
    113 KB · Views: 122

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
yes, that's exactly what I did. I took an external 1TB WD small form factor drive (it houses a 2.5" HDD), created 200GB and 800GB partitions, then installed Lion on the smaller one. I still haven't begun to use the larger partition, however :D

BTW, has anyone gotten iStat Menus 2.0 running on Lion? I can't seem to get it working correctly. It downloads the sensors, but when I click on any of them in the preference pane, I'm told that they can't be loaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.