How do you include an airdisk as a part of your time machine backup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dergoog, Jun 9, 2010.

1. dergoog macrumors newbie

I have been using my airdisk as a method to share files. I was sharing them using a sharepoint but it required that I keep that mac on.

All seems to be fine using the airdisk (I share it over the LAN) but today I realized none of those files are getting backed up by time machine. My time machine backup is still hooked up directly to my main mac.

I searched the forums for a way to include that share in my backup, and cannot find a way.

Anyone have an idea?

OSX 10.6.3
    Airdisk shared via AE first edition (non-dual band)

2. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

From what I have read, there is no 'official' way of doing this. I have been considering getting an Airport Extreme to share network drives out, but so far have decided to continue with the same setup you had been using. I also don't like having to keep my desktop running 24/7 in order to have files available to other machines.

I would love to hear what others might be doing to backup the disks that are being shared with an Airport Extreme. The only thing I could think about, would be to attach naked drives with something like a Thermaltake BlacX drive dock, and also keep a drive doc on your local machine. Then periodically shutdown the Airport Extreme, eject the drives and back them up from your desktop. Seems like a major pain - but the only easy method to use.

Since I don't have an Airport Extreme or any Airdisks to test, would an app like Carbon Copy Cloner see the airdisk and allow it to be backed up locally??

Again, would love it if someone can step up and explain their method of backing these drives up.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

3. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

OK, I have done a ton on research on the best method of backing up an AirDisk.

Some recommend using the Apple MobileMe backup utility to backup the AirDisk locally. The problem with this solution is that it compiles the files that are backed up into an archive instead of leaving the files more accessible. That may be fine for you - or you may prefer a backup method that would allow you to more easily access your files, or even give you an exact backup that you would be able to plug right into the Airport Extreme to replace the failed drive.

The best solution that I have seen for this is a program called File Synchronization, which costs $15. It is supposed to be a really good utility for all kinds of file synchs. The application can be found here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16975

For $15, it seems like a real simple solution, and I'm sure I would probably rip more than $15 worth of hair out of my head trying to find a better solution.

As far as using Time Machine to do this, it seems like there is just now way of doing that.

Hope this helps. It may have pushed me over the edge, into buying the Airport Extreme that I have been thinking about all this time...

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Seems the solution you're looking for is SilverKeeper. I haven't used it myself but I recall reading that this was a workable solution. From a cursory look, it seems that SilverKeeper will recognize AirDisks as a backup source.