How do you install 2 versions of iMovie?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andy3, Mar 15, 2009.

1. andy3 macrumors newbie

Okay, I searched the forum and Google but I can't find anything about HOW to install two different versions of iMovie on one computer. I really like how iMovie 06 works but I'd also like to have iMovie 09 on the computer so I can learn how to use it.

Please keep it simple, thanks in advance.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe you just run the installers, can't quite remember as it was a long time ago that I installed these items but iMovie 06 installs as "iMovie HD" and the newer versions of iMovie install as "iMovie" so the installers shouldn't conflict.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If iMovie 06 (and even iMovie 08) are already installed when you install iMovie 09, a folder will be created in /Applications called "iMovie (previous version)" and the older ones will be placed in that folder. I'm not sure why you would want both 08 and 09, but this is the only app that seems to save older versions in a subfolder and on my system it saved both 06 and 08. I just deleted 08 and moved 06 back up to the applications folder since I don't like the whole previous version subfolder idea. If iMovie 09 is already installed when you install iMovie 06, xUKHCx is correct that they will both be available directly in the Applications folder since iMovie 06 installs into iMovie HD.app and iMovie 08 and 09 install into iMovie.app.

I would think the previous version subfolder idea could work on other applications, too, as long as each version keeps a uniquely named plist file under /Library/Preferences.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Install iMovie '06 first (actually it was easier to just install the whole iLife '06 if you have not installed a newer version already) and update it through Software Update. Once iMovie '09 is installed, '06 version will get moved to a subfolder under applications, so Software Update will not update it anymore.

5. brooksbruce macrumors newbie

updated from imovie 06 hd to imovie 09 but no longer have a version of imovie 06 hd on my computer. i still have the original software install disks with imovie 06 on it and the ilife 09 suite. any help would be greatly appreciated