How do you install a second drive in a G5 Dual Processor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by concun64, Feb 7, 2014.

1. concun64 macrumors newbie

I am trying to install a 2nd SATA drive in a 1.8 DP G5. The service manual says to clip the cables. I can manage the data cable, but there is no info on how to connect a power cable. Is there a "work around" BTW, if you are interested, service manuals are available at .

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My single 1.8Ghz G5 has two drive bays.

With the front grill to your left and the cover and plastic cover off the drive bays should be on the top right. The empty drive bay should have both a power lead and a data lead. You shove the second drive in to the empty bay (there should be screws for a second drive somewhere in that area) and then connect the leads.

Are you saying that there is no power and data leads for the second drive bay? You might have to look inside a bit to find them. Shine a flashlight in there.

Or is the Dual 1.8Ghz G5 such a different beast that it does not have a second drive bay?

3. tampasteve macrumors 6502

I am looking at the drive bay of my dual 2.0 G5 and the power and data cable are clearly visible at the bottom area of the drive bay. To connect the power cable simply push it into the correct slot on the HDD. But it *should* be right next to the data cable.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You don't need service manuals to install a hard drive in a G5 Powermac. The drives are mounted one on top of the other in the top rear of the machine just behind the optical drive. The cables are already there, and the 4 mounting screws are stored right there too (assuming nobody took them out).

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Can you shoot a picture of this? I've never heard of the factory cables not being long enough to attach a drive. They're tight, but they have the length. You are installing the drive with the I/O facing out correct?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's also possible that you are not putting the drive in correctly or not pushing it far enough back.

7. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Good point. The drive must be pushed in and then slightly down, it kind of is angled into place. That leaves a small, maybe 1/2 inch, gap between the drives, and enables the cables to connect. If it is not pushed in and then down the cables will not be long enough.

8. Member2010 macrumors regular

suggestion reply

Adding a second drive couldn't be easier, no scissors are needed :D. Simply take the four screws to the left of the drive bay and put them in the four holes in your hard drive, then slide the drive into the bay and connect using the provided connectors.

::

9. concun64 thread starter macrumors newbie

More info on HD cables

I've pushed the drive as far into the bay as possible. The connectors are visible but are pinned under the bracket. There is not enough slack in either the power or data cable to plug them into the drive. I guess they decided to save the cost of an inch of cable. Will try to get and send a picture.

Thanks again!

10. micahgartman macrumors member

micahgartman

The cables very short—it's a PITA to reach them if you have big paws.

Here's a video that shows how to install a second disk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66ZH6jGKzU

Note that you have to remove the 'bottom' drive first if you want to install the new drive in the 'top' bay.