How do you install Lion on SSD using an external enclosure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erla, Oct 29, 2011.

1. erla macrumors newbie

I am going to install a SSD into my mbp, and I'm wondering how do you do this(title)? Can't find any guids showing how to do this on the internet.

2. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

When I purchased Lion from the app store, I created a USB key. I just used it this weekend to install Lion on my new SSD, worked fine!

Did you create a boot USB key or burn a boot DVD?

3. erla thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I didn't. The mbp came with Lion, so it was pre-installed ;)

4. ortegacarlton macrumors newbie

how did you do that? :O ive always wondered how to do that, but never learned how...

so even if you have zero-OS on your macbook...all you have to do is boot the lion they sell on the app store? you don't need a snow leopard CD?

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

6. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

That's right. I did not need SL. Installed Lion on the new SSD in about 20-30 minutes. :)

You can read about my experience here.

7. erla thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I do it this way?

1. Put the SSD in the external enclosure and format it so you can use it with your mac.
    2. Download the CarbonCopyCloner application and clone the OS over to my SSD.

8. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Yes, that'll work too. I've always been a believer in fresh installs, but that's just me. The cloning should work fine.

9. erla thread starter macrumors newbie

And when the SSD is installed, I just boot it up as normal? I don't have to hold down any keys?

10. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

After I installed Lion on my SSD, I installed it using optibay and when I restarted, I DID hold down the option key because at that point, I had the SSD and the original HDD both with Lion on them. I wanted to be sure it booted from the SSD. I then went into System Preferences and selected the SSD as the boot up disk, and from there on it booted from the SSD.

I gave it plenty of time to make sure everything was ok (and I have three backups, LOL) but when I felt safe, I re-formatted my HDD to remove the OS and then I just copied back my iTunes music folder and my iPhoto library, and my downloads folder. Those are the only things on my HDD.

Everything else... OS, apps, and user folder.... resides on the SSD.

I'm very happy with this setup.

11. erla thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks!

I don't want to install an optibay into my mbp because i want to put CD's in it. I'm installing Microsoft Office 2011. ;)

So I install the SSD, boot up while holding down the option key, and when it asks me to install the OS I go to disk utility and formats the SSD so it will boot from it. Is this correct?

12. erla thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump.

Just wondering; how do you make a USB key with Lion on it? I've been watching youtube-videos, but there is no one who is explaining how to get Lion as a .DMG file? And how do you get this .DMG file into the USB key?

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i posted the link on how to make a bootable version of Lion ......Post #5

14. erla thread starter macrumors newbie

But how am I going to do step 1 when Lion was already installed when i got it?

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you had 30 days after purchase in most countrioes to get a promo code so you can download it again if you had your MBP for more than 30 days you would have to buy it, it needs to be in your App Store Purchased tab and if its not the only way to add it is by buying it. But with that promo code you can "buy" it for nothing and since the app store doesnt know if your on lion or not it allows you to download the Lion Installer file which is essentially what your need to make the bootable DVD or Flash Drive

16. erla thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks.

I thought that I couldn't buy Lion from the AppStore since the mbp came with it.

But what is this promo code thing? Do they have it in Norway?

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/nostore?&partNumber=MD202Z/A

fill in that form if you are eligible you will get a promo code to download lion in the app store for free than you can make boot version of lion

18. ortegacarlton macrumors newbie

What if I purchased my macbook in late-August, which came with lion? I don't think I'm still legible for the free-upgrade. But when I do try to buy it, via the App Store, it always gives me the "Installed" option, and I can't buy it: nor is it in my purchased tab.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i would still try and see if your eligible go the the apple store for your country and click the mac or lion tab and look for something that says 'recently purchased a Mac? you might be eligible ....

if you dont get the code but wish to purchase

try this

hold option key then open the app store, than continue to hold and click OSX Lion should be in the "top 10" or favorties on the side, than it should no say "installed" but purchase

20. ortegacarlton macrumors newbie

so I tried for the code, but rather than put august 20th, I put october 20th(because i tried for august, but said i passed the 30 days). it prompted my visa, so hopefully they don't look into it and charge me(oh well if they do).

so through a link I found above the previous posts, how would I make it a bootable USB? would I just find the same thing I would for the burnable disc, but instead just put that .dmg onto my USB drive?

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. You can use the .dmg to make either a bootable DVD, USB hard drive partition, or USB thumb drive.

22. ortegacarlton macrumors newbie

sorry, never have exactly done this before.

how would you partition your usb to function like that? and/or make the thumb drive.

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just follow the same steps linked earlier here, except point the restore to either a formatted 8GB USB key or a formatted 8GB partition on an external USB drive.