How do you install Mac App Store programs on a Secondary Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobcatou, May 6, 2011.

1. bobcatou macrumors newbie

bobcatou

I'm getting a smaller SSD drive for my new MBP and putting a second drive in the DVD Bay. I don't want all my Mac App Store programs installed on my main drive but rather some on my secondary drive for obvious reasons. I don't see an option or even a preference panel to do this. Am I missing something simple. How is this done?

Thanks
    Bryan

2. simsaladimbamba

After successful and complete installation of the application, just use Finder to drag it to an external HDD and delete the on in the Applications folder. The AppStore application might not properly update those moved applications though.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

drag and drop will not work for all apps in the app store. I'm thinking of ilife and iwork specifically and I'm sure there could be others. Those apps that I mentioned though have to be installed.

4. bobcatou thread starter macrumors newbie

bobcatou

I can't believe there isn't a contingency for this. I mean with SSD drives now, people aren't buying 1 TB drives. I mean I can understand having to have certain library files on the master drive but all Mac Store apps? This seems like a major issue.