How do you install the "digital copy" of a Blu-Ray to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SRLMJ23, Feb 5, 2012.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

In Windows a window pops up and gives you the option to install, when I put the disk in my SuperDrive I get no pop-up window or anything, it just puts the CD with the name of the movie on the desktop. I tried it with Dark Knight and Avatar. Please, someone help me. I'm new to the Mac.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is this an iTunes Digital Copy or "Ultraviolet" digital copy.

B

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

It just says it can be installed on a PC & Mac, it's a separate disk to the actual blu-ray cd. So I don't think it's an ultraviolet version as there is no ultraviolet marketing anywhere on the disk or packaging.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Then usually it is just copy the file on the DVD to iTunes and use the redemption code from inside the box to activate it.

B

5. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Sorry for being so noobish, so I should install the cd and when the cd shows up on desktop drag it to iTunes, should iTunes be open or closed, or am I way off here.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just pop the normal DVD in your Mac and use Handbreak to rip it.

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Except if I read correctly, it's just a Blu ray and then the digital copy disc.

OP: Pop the disc in, open iTunes and it should show up in the sidebar. From there, you'll have to enter in the redemption code from the slip inside the container.

What is the movie anyway?

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Usually when I get those Blu-rays that come with digital downloads, they're "triple play" and come with a Blu-ray, DVD, and a code you can enter into some software to download a digital copy. The best way to get a digital copy is to just rip the DVD and avoid DRM.

9. darster Suspended

Some of those discs also have an expiration for the free digital transfer through itunes. Usually in very small print. So if the movie came out a few years ago on blu ray, it may have expired.

10. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

The problem is when I put the DVD in, nothing shows up in iTunes so I can't activate anything nor rip anything. I find this mildly annoying, I'm new to Mac and I absolutely LOVE OS X but sometimes things seem more difficult compared to Windows.

Anyone else have an idea?

11. damson34 macrumors 6502

When you open it does it start an installer or does it come up with something like "quicktime can't play this video?" If an installer comes up, you have to install that program to play it. It might open in iTunes, and if it does then iTunes should walk you through it. It won't show up in the iTunes sidebar because it's a movie not a music CD, but it will appear on the finder, under devices

You are not going to hurt anything by dragging it over to your computer.

12. imahawki macrumors 6502a

This is why no one wants this CRAP movie studios. Wake up, make it easy to transfer media we BOUGHT across our devices without treating us like criminals.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

iTunes doesn't play DVDs. Just install Handbreak on your Mac and use that to rip it like I said.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It's not only that they treat us like criminals. It's just that they would rather make us pay for the same stuff over and over again. I've gotten in the habit of avoiding blu-ray movies. They cost more. I purchase the DVD whenever I can and rip it with handbrake. When I watch it, I'm not faced with digging for the remote to skip previews. I'm not faced with watching an FBI warning that does not apply to me. I'm not faced with hard coded menus that require different keystrokes to get out of the previews on every stinking disk.

I refuse to deal with physical movie media (except for the time it takes to rip it with Handbrake) just like many people refuse to deal with physical music media. Much like the music industry, the movie studios are their own worst enemies. They cry and cry about piracy but they are driving their customers into the arms of Netflix and iTunes for a hassle free viewing experience. Remember slot music? That was the record label's last ditch effort to get customers to put up with physical media. The record labels crammed dozens and sometimes hundreds of mp3 files on a micro sd card in an ill-fated last ditch effort to force end users "bundled" music.

We recently reactivated our Netflix account. When the price went up twice in one year, we bolted. Having several unplayable DVDs in a row last year didn't help either. Now we are streaming only and it's actually better as I hated dealing with the physical media anyway.

I would think you could get an external blu ray player and use makemkv and handbrake to rip blu ray discs. I haven't tried this as I avoid blu ray discs because I don't like throwing 30 gigs of storage at roughly 1 gigabyte (in m4v format) worth of information.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

"You wouldn't shoot a policeman and then steal his helmet! You wouldn't go to the toilet in his helmet! And then send it to the policeman's grieving widow! And then steal it again!"

16. bcrguy macrumors regular

if you look on the slip that has the code on it it will have exactly the process there.. they are not all identical, and it isn't apples fault, its the studios that all do it differently..

thats all well and good for you and me, but its not simple enough for some people though. if i were to try to show my gf or my siblings how to use handbrake, they would not be able to do it..

17. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Surprised nobody has said their car is now rolling downhill. ¬_¬

18. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Hell yes I'd download a car.

19. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I personally don't care for "Digital Copy". I just buy and watch on Blu-Ray or DVD. Nonetheless some "Combo Packs" come with a "digital copy" disc like Real Steel and Chronicles of Narnia 3. Real Steel had two version of the combo pack. One with and one without the digital copy disc. I chose the one without. However Narnia 3 came with the disc and when I insert it into my Mac a window pops up with an iTunes logo and says "double click to transfer movie to iTunes but it also shows up in the left side of iTunes and asks me to put in a code. Karate Kid however only wants a code. Jurassic Park Blu-Ray trilogy has no "digital copy" disc and just an insert with codes on it.

That in itself makes it confusing. Which one do I do. Simply "click and install" or enter the code? This is why I don't care for "digital copy". Plus I enjoy special features. Unless I'm mistaken movies from iTunes don't have special features. It's just the movie.

20. bcrguy macrumors regular

most of the time hitting the "click to install" opens the iTunes window which prompts you to enter the code.. sometimes you can just go to iTunes, hit the redeem code button then enter it there and it will work.. i know what you mean tho, there should be a standard process for downloading digital copies..

and iTunes movies do have the special features sometimes, i have them for the A-Team

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cant you just rip in it with handbrake? and forget the digital download

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Unless things have changed recently, it's not a Blu-Ray, it's more like a key to access the digital file online, when I got Dark Knight I popped it in my computer and downloaded the digital copy.

23. 3282868 macrumors 603

I've got an LG BH10LS30 BD drive in my '10 6-core Mac Pro and have used various app's to rip BD's.

MakeMKV is a great app and allows 30-days for trial

After it reads the BD you can select only what you want ripped, saves a great deal of time/space.

I've also used Mac BluRayRipper Pro, does the job but MakeMKV gives you more control over the rip. Once you have your .mkv use Handbrake to compress/convert the file into the format you need. You can use Handbrake for the whole process and skip MakeMKV, but I can play .mkv files on my various devices without converting them. VLC is a great, free video app that will play almost everything you throw at it.

24. fr3n2y macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've just bought Chronicle on blu-ray.

It has a slip inside for a digital copy download, when i follow the instructions it prompts me to put in the code from the slip, the fox website doesn't show correctly on my mac (a couple of blank boxes where I assume information should be) then somehow I can click in the blank box and itunes opens and asks for me for a code.

If I put the same code in the itunes window it asks for the digital dvd copy to be inserted into the drive...I only have 1 disc in the box...which is a blu ray, the mac wont read it... it just spits it back out again after sounding like its trying to read it.

Any ideas?

many thanks