How do you install this thing? Gallery 1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Starhorsepax, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Starhorsepax macrumors member

Starhorsepax

Hi
    Downloaded this to use on my mac site - thought I could work on it here and it was compatible with the class site. Only I can't figure out how to install it!
    It's called Gallery 1 - (The later versions need MYSQL and I haven't got that in yet.) Just a picture album. Installed the other stuff, powered up the php successfully but....
    The config wizard on it points me at a non existent web page and there I am stuck.

Final aggravation: everyone keeps posting how EASY it is to install. Yet I can find no other instructions.:confused:

HELP Please!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Generally, the way these things work is that you upload the scripts and content to a web server (you can use MAMP to test on your local Mac, or use a web host other than MobileMe), then visit the setup page, configure everything, and off you go.

3. Starhorsepax thread starter macrumors member

Starhorsepax

Configure is the problem. The mac server is enabled and working. Allis well. But the config info says go to http://www.example.com/gallery/setup/index.php
    which then helps you configure. I noticed the Gallery 2 instructions on their site directs to the same page. But I keep getting a 404 page not found error.:(

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Can you see the file from Finder? I installed Gallery 3 recently and it was in a different location. You're probably having trouble finding directions because it's an old version so the documentation was changed as Gallery was modified.

5. Starhorsepax thread starter macrumors member

Starhorsepax

Thanks. Now I found the config wizard and it says I need to chmod 777 the .htaccess file. Mind you I can see it in text wrangler and I knew I put it in there. But terminal keeps saying it doesn't exist! :confused:
    My unix is rusty but I'm not getting this...anyone have any suggestions?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You are not in the right folder in the Terminal. To fix this, type cd, then a space, then drag the folder to the Terminal window. Hit return to execute the command.

7. Starhorsepax thread starter macrumors member

Starhorsepax

So I finally got it configured but ...no photos.:mad:It says they uploaded. I can see the files and they are there. I can even type in the exact path name and the images come up. But in the gallery: no photos. I checked the urls, tried changing them. I tried moving out one folder and reinstalling. Then I get 'directory doesn't exist, please create it." So I had to move it back in. And it Still says it doesn't exist. Mind you, I'm looking right at it. And it's right in the path I gave it. And when I try and move it out and start over the config promply gives me a user error message because the user file is in it. So it recognizes that but not the photos. (I'm still wondering where 'easy install' comes in here.:eek:)
    To top it off, half the time it won't recognize my password and I have to change it.

Maybe my Mac is hanging out with PCs to much....there must be a way to do this!