How do you Install Windows 7 on Separate Drive? (Mac Pro 3,1)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hartleymartin, Oct 30, 2016.

1. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Hi Everyone,

I have a Windows7 64-bit disc and a license key. I would like to install Windows 7 on a separate drive to my OSX installation, but looking around the internet I cannot seem to find the right instructions on how to do this. Does anyone know of a proper tutorial on how this is done?

2. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Well, I managed to get it to install on a separate hard disk.

I also installed a little utility called "Boot-Champ." The OSX El-Capitan SSD on the Accelsior S card is the default boot drive, and using Boot-Champ I have a little menu icon which lets me re-boot into Windows 7. There is a little icon in the Windows 7 tray which lets me re-boot into OSX, but when I use that, it boots into the Storage drive (that drive has a full OSX installation in case the SSD or Accelsior Card fails.)

My only complaint is that Windows 7 is a ruddy precious little princess of an OS. It doesn't like it when I plug my USB keyboard into a different port.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

4. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I will look into that little utility. I am also thinking of doing a Linux partition in the future.

5. Teon macrumors regular

Teon

made himself the same system, it is convenient to use. Not limited to any Mac or in Win