How do you jailbreak 3.1.3 nowadays?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PaHtSaN, Jun 15, 2011.

1. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

I've been away from this for a while, back in the day you could use jailbreakme.com but I guess that slide to jailbreak isn't around anymore. How would you jailbreak without updating? Its a 3gs, and no SHSH, the phones never been updated or jailbroken, and I'd rather not update to the newest iOS.

2. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should've put this Q in the Hacks section, my bad, help still appreciated.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use iFaith to save the 3.1.3 SHSH blobs. (Google it) Then use redsn0w for 3.1.2 and point it to the 3Gs 3.1.2 IPSW.

4. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

You have redsn0w, Spirit or a custom IPSW with PwnageTool if you have blobs. (I just realized you said no blobs so you can use iFaith instead like Intell mentioned)

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to update to the newest firmware? The 3Gs runs pretty well on 4.3.3. Plus you can update and keep your old baseband to preserve the unlock.

5. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, to give you some background, I'm actually trying to help my friend in boston do this (I'm in cali), I have some experiance with this, he has none, and like most newbies hes afraid of screwing up his phone while trying to jailbreak it.

Being 3.1.3 I was thinking he could use the oldschool jailbreakme.com method, but then I realized its not available anymore. The reason that I want to leave 3.1.3 is to make the process as simple as possible for him, if I start trying to explain how to make custom firmwares and update FW without baseband and etc, this guys head is gonna explode lol.

But if thats the only way, then thats what I'll do. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

6. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Just as a suggestion...

http://iclarified.com/jailbreak/iphone3gs/os.php?firmware=4.3.3

Point him to that and have him choose the OS and PwnageTool afterwards. IMO iClarified makes really good step by step guides on upgrading and PwnageTool is fairly easy to use.

7. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

And ylert, I guess you're right, best option is probably to update and perserve the baseband. thnx again.