How do you keep iPad and iPhone apps separate?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cool Hwhip, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

I have apps on my iPhone and my iPad that I want to keep separate. Unfortunately, iTunes is the worst designed program ever created by man, so there is no option for this.

Whenever I transfer purchases from my iPhone to my computer then sync and then I want to sync my iPad, it will sync ALL the iPhone apps I just transferred into the iPad. I do NOT want this. It is unfeasible to go through my list of 300 apps and know which ones I need to uncheck so it doesn't sync. How does one go about doing this?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

Oh my god. You are the greatest person on this earth. Thank you so much.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No problem.

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Thanks for the tip. I never knew that either. I made that change after I saw your post!

6. Uln4321 macrumors regular

I also never knew this! This changes everything. Thanks!

7. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I agree with the OP.

Whoever is in charge of iTunes should be fired!

Whenever I install a new app to my iPhone, iTunes will install it to my iPad in the next sync.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Someone should be fired because you don't know how to use the software? :rolleyes:

I understand that it's counter-intuitive for some people because they're used to doing it a different way, but it's not generally that hard to figure out. I've had to learn new things about iTunes since buying my iPad, I've learned it fairly quickly.

9. flurffmeister macrumors member

Also, for that first time sync, you can make your life easier for the next hour of syncing by starting off NOT syncing apps when it asks for the first time. Just check the checkbox later in the Apps tab so that it doesn't default to all of them, and use the "Sort by" to list in order of "Kind". Universal apps will be in the list under "iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad apps", iPad specific of course "iPad apps", and iPhone only labeled "iPhone and iPod touch apps". If you click on one and then use your arrow keys and space bar, you can rapid-fire through the list checking only the ones you want.

I agree, iTunes needs a UI overhaul. It's such a glommed together hog that it makes me want to stab my eyeballs with a rusty spoon just to stop having to look at it.

10. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I just found that button 2 days ago
    LOL we have almost 700 Apps LOL crazy

11. steff1971 macrumors newbie

thanks for the picture above with an option to click off apps. WHERE is that? Is that on the IPAD ? Is that in itunes? I can't find it.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In iTunes. When you connect your iDevice, an icon for the device appears in the left-hand column. Click on the icon to highlight it. Then the right-hand window changes to a Summary of the device. At the top of this window are tabs saying Summary, Info, Apps, etc. Click on Apps tab, and you are at the page where that picture is from.

13. steff1971 macrumors newbie

Well shoot - that doesn't work either.

even with that unchecked - (which it already was when I opened that) my apps continued to synch.

14. cshel24 macrumors member

The checkbox tip worked for me too, I was getting irritated cause everything was getting installed without me wanting it there.

15. WhistleInDark7 macrumors newbie

I did this, and tried to sync again, but apps that I have previously downloaded on my iPad appeared again on my iPod. Perhaps because they are not new? Any other suggestions? :(

16. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

so much LOL!!!!! ...LOL!