Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
This used to work fine a long time ago before iOS 4. I would open Pandora, hold the home button to enable backgrounding and press home to go to the SpringBoard. Now I noticed for my other radio app that the audio just stops.

How do you let the audio keep playing while Backgrounded?

Nick0912

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
I don't use pandora but I have the espn radio and there is an option to run it in safari.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
works perfect for me on both my 3gs and my new I4 if your running 4.0 or above the firmware should background it with out backgrounder.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
works perfect for me on both my 3gs and my new I4 if your running 4.0 or above the firmware should background it with out backgrounder.

No. Background audio only works with apps that have been updated with the APIs.

I have an iPhone on 4.0.1.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I'm assuming your are currently jailbroken and have Backgrounder installed. What is the current method to initiate backgrounding? When I used it on my 3GS I went into the settings and set it to start backgrounding by holding the wake button since holding the home button initiated voice control. Also, is backgrounder working for other apps other than this radio one?

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I think you can just hold down the "home" button while you are in the app. This should minimize the app, but you should still hear music.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
How 'bout some more info, bubs?

What phone, which iOS?

Actually, we are the ones that need more info in order to help. What other "radio app" are you trying to background? Is "Backgrounding Enabled" coming up when you hold the home button (or however you have Backgrounder set up to activate)?

The more info you give, the more likelybyou are to get a useful response.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
What radio app are you trying to use?

Search for KRBE in the app store. It's 104.1

I'm assuming your are currently jailbroken and have Backgrounder installed.

Did the thread title "How do you keep radio app to keep playing in background with Backgrounder?" give that away?

Actually, we are the ones that need more info in order to help. What other "radio app" are you trying to background? Is "Backgrounding Enabled" coming up when you hold the home button (or however you have Backgrounder set up to activate)?

The more info you give, the more likelybyou are to get a useful response.

He was asking for all of you.., o_O
The app is KRBE 104.1 but just search for KRBE in the app store (it's free). I'm not an idiot, I know how to use Backgrounder and have been using it for over a year. Of course Backgrounding enabled shows up.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Jeez, your attitude must make people want to fall head over heels to help you!
Have you tried setting KRBE to backgrounder inside the apps override menu?

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Jeez, your attitude must make people want to fall head over heels to help you!
Have you tried setting KRBE to backgrounder inside the apps override menu?

How would you feel if you had a question like "My iPhone won't turn on, I think it's bricked" then someone said to you "Hold down the power button and see if that works"

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
How would you feel if you had a question like "My iPhone won't turn on, I think it's bricked" then someone said to you "Hold down the power button and see if that works"

i wouldn't ask a question with such little information like "My iPhone won't turn on, I think it's bricked" .
im only trying to help troubleshoot, and you are just not giving up the information...i will try again: Have you tried setting KRBE to backgrounder inside the apps override menu?

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
i wouldn't ask a question with such little information like "My iPhone won't turn on, I think it's bricked" .
im only trying to help troubleshoot, and you are just not giving up the information...i will try again: Have you tried setting KRBE to backgrounder inside the apps override menu?

That's not the point. The POINT is that someone gave you a stupidly obvious answer.

And yes, the second thing I did was putting it in override but that's not what override does. It's just separate, custom settings for backgrounding that app. Since none of the settings allow me to "Continue audio while backgrounded", putting it overrides does me no good.

Just curious, are you on a Mac or PC?

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
That's not the point. The POINT is that someone gave you a stupidly obvious answer.
i was only commenting on your perceived attitude... and even if it is an obvious answer, it is still an attempt to help you.

And yes, the second thing I did was putting it in override but that's not what override does. It's just separate, custom settings for backgrounding that app. Since none of the settings allow me to "Continue audio while backgrounded", putting it overrides does me no good.
Thats not what override does? i Understand what override does and was wondering setting it directly for backgrounder backgrounding would make a difference. The only part of that rant you needed to write was 'putting it overrides does me no good.'

Just curious, are you on a Mac or PC?
right this second? because i use both

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I went ahead and installed that app and played with it. I was surprised to see that when backgrounded (via Backgrounder) it doesn't continue to play. So I looked at another (similar) app I had, KGO radio. That app no longer backgrounds as it used to on my 3Gs. Something in iOS 4.0.x or the iPhone 4 itself has changed.

Interesting...still researching.

I did notice my KGO app has been updated with an option to run in background via mobile safari. Wasn't there before.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
i had the same issue, as native multitasking would conflict with backgrounder... so i changed the settings in backgrounder to use autodetect and then use overrides for the app that i need backgrounding with backgrounder...

with these settings, i can have Pandora using native multitasking and other applications such as palringo (chat client) using backgrounder multitasking... hope this makes sense...

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
i had the same issue, as native multitasking would conflict with backgrounder... so i changed the settings in backgrounder to use autodetect and then use overrides for the app that i need backgrounding with backgrounder...

with these settings, i can have Pandora using native multitasking and other applications such as palringo (chat client) using backgrounder multitasking... hope this makes sense...

Makes sense, but I think the OP's issue is app specific.I played with it myself and it seems like some of the logic has changed. Backgrounder can't be configured to background this one.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I appreciate the guys who downloaded the app and tried to tinker with it and Backgrounder.

+1 internet for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.