How Do You Keep Your Macs In Sync?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Nov 30, 2011.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I am using a 15" MBP at home and a 13" MBP at school for notes/shenanigans. What is the best way to keep the two computers in sync? I have some documents that I am editing on the go and at home, and it's rather inconvenient to try transferring them back and forth, even over Airdrop. Thanks.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Oh wow I am jealous! I use a usb stick. i am hoping that iCloud documents comes to mac.

3. simsaladimbamba

Try DropBox. It gives you 2 GB of free online storage, which is also stored locally, which synch across your Macs and smart phones.

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

So if I edit a file on Dropbox, will it automatically update with the edited file on the other computer?

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i use dropbox to sync between 1 mac, 1 windows laptop, a linux PC, and my iPhone. Plus it's a constantly updating backup for all my important data.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Dropbox.

And yes, it does automatically update the file on the other computer, as long as both are connected to the web. Dropbox even keeps a 1 month history of your documents, so to some extent it also works as a backup.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I use iDisk as that was integrated into the system but its obviously not an option any longer. I'll need to start looking at some alternatives.

You can use transmit or some other program like that to make any type of FTP, dropbox, amazon S3, webdav etc folder appear as a drive on your machine (as long as the program is installed), so i'm thinking about migrating everything to S3. I just have to wait until next year to buy transmit (my software budget has run out for the year lol).

8. tusctodd macrumors member

I still use iDisk.

Works whether I'm on my mac at home or PC at work.

9. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Use Dropbox. It is the entire purpose of the product. With the added bonus that you can install Drobox on a Windows PC too and sync there as well. It is universal... and free. can't go wrong there.