How do you keep your projects organised ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Junk DNA, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

So, i have maybe 30 - 40 currently active projects. These range from re-styling my home, writing essays, organising exhibitions at work, running budgets etc.

Currently I use a combination of OmniFocus, iCal, folders, Mail. OmniFocus is great for my task lists but I'm looking for an app that would allow me to see, for each project, all the relevant source material: pdfs, docs, images, etc

Any suggestions ???

2. tmants macrumors newbie

You should try VoodooPad
    I use iCal and Taskmate. It's more than enough for me.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Not to go all Microsoft shill on you :) , but you might want to check out the Project Centre in Entourage (which is part of Office). It was introduced in Entourage 2004, and continues on in Entourage 2008.

When you set up a project there, you can tell Entourage that all of your mail filed away in a folder is associated with the project. You can also tell it that you've got a folder in your Finder where you're storing all of your stuff associated with that project (which means that sub-folders in that folder are included). You can also say that specific contacts in your address book are for that project, and you can mark tasks and calendar events for the project. Then, in the Project Center view, the first tab shows you everything that's associated with that project. The subsequent tabs show you specifics (all the tasks, all the emails, etc). For more information about the Project Centre, try starting with manage a project by using the Project Center.

Personally, I set up a project for each usability study that I run. Most of my projects last for about 2-3 months (from first inception to working through all of the changes to the feature designs as a result of the study). I don't usually associate contacts with my projects, but I definitely always have tasks, mail, files, and calendar events associated with them.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I'd give Bento a go, it makes really easy databases which I use to keep all my projects organise. Basically it integrates with iLife and lets you create one space where all your project files, folders, emails etc. together in one place.

You can download a demo and then upgrade it you like it.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

We use both Circus Ponies, " Notebook " and OmniPlan by Omni Software. The latter has a very classic " Project feel " to it

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I use the super free iGTD:

http://www.igtd.pl/iGTD/

Highly recommended with great integration features with Mail, iCal, and others.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes iGTD looks very good. We also use OmniPlan for GTD

8. St Soichiro macrumors regular

This is very similar to my situation, and my usage of OF, iC, folders and Mail (with Smart Folders).

I have started playing around with Curio, as it does allow to hold several things together, and also allows for brainstorming.

9. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

I'm tempted to give Bento a go - though I don't have a clear idea in my mind how I would use it track my projects...

Would be fascinated to hear more about how it works for you.

10. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I'm a big fan of Journler. You'll be able to add PDFs and other files, tag them according to a project, then store them in folders. You'll have a diary like interface for regular entries. You can create smart folders that will scan your diary entries looking for a specific phrase, which would be a good way to use it as a catchall for multiple projects. You can add a series of checkboxes to give an entry a to-do like feel.

The developer has announced he's giving up future updates to return to college, and he's looking for someone to take over future versions. As disconcerting as that sounds, the current version seems to be in pretty good shape.

mt

11. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

Pagico is good at managing multiple projects (todo + resources)

I use Pagico all the time as it's really good at managing and keeping track of multiple projects, which is not just todo lists, but also related resources.

Right now they're giving free beta serial codes, so why not give it a try?

http://www.pagico.com/beta/

I used to use Things (http://culturedcode.com/things/), but in most cases just managing lists aren't enough --- you'll have files, images and notes, etc. With pagico you can actually have all those related things together. Plus the nice flowchart feature which I really like.

Cheers,

m

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Evernote, Backpack, Curio and Remember the Milk are good options.