How do you know if your MacBook Pro battery has been calibrated?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jhonvomer, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jhonvomer macrumors newbie

It is a 13 inch macbook pro. Do you guys know any way to improve battery life?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Shrink, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Once again, thanks for the information. I have MBP, early 2011 model. I keep it lugged in to AC all the time. I read some instructions saying if one keeps it plugged in it's good to do a full calibration monthly. As part of my monthly "housekeeping", I did a full calibration, PRAM reset, and disc utility/repair.

Reading the link (the first link [" do not require regular calibration"] in your post didn't connect) "Apple Notebook FAQ", do I understand correctly that I don't need to do full monthly calibration, just unplug the computer every three days or so and drain it to about 50%, and then plug in again?

Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Thanks again...:D

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The AC POWER section of the FAQ addresses this. You should run a while on battery every few days to keep it healthy. Just unplug while you work, then plug back in a few hours later.
    No, the instruction is to cycle the battery at least monthly, not to calibrate it. The WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the FAQ will explain how cycles work.
    You don't need to calibrate your battery. Read the link I posted earlier. If it doesn't work when you click on it, keep trying. Apple is having problems with its site recently, so you have to retry Apple links several times before they work, but the link is good. Reset your browser, clearing your cache.
    PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.
    Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
    Yes, that's correct. It can be 50% or 30% or 80%.... doesn't matter, as long as you're giving the battery a reasonable amount of use.

Hope that helps!

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Wow, terrific post. Wonderful information, as usual.

You're a mensch. ***Pinches cheek***

Thanks so much for your time.:D