How do you know it's the right choice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

How do you know if you did the right choice btw the iMac and MaBook Pro?

Before the iPad, I used to do everything on the iMac, and when in bed or on the couch I'd hold my MacBook on my lap, rarely on a desk. The iPad came and changed everything.

The reson why I chose the iMac is because I would never take the MacBook anywhere other than bed or couch, and there's the iPad, MacBook'd sit on a desk, which is an iMac's job, right? The other is resolution, I'd use my MacBook Pro on native 1440x900, and I've been there with Photoshop, Maya and Final Cut X. I work with photography and computer graphics.

Today I went to an Apple Store and played a little with a MacBook with retina display, and I started to question my needs. It doesn't help that my iMac is gonna take a few weeks to get here.

Is there anyone who works with graphics and don't have a reason to take the MacBook off the desk, but has still gone for it? Could you share your experience? It has been two years since I last owed an iMac, or worked at home.

2. MikeChicago macrumors member

I don't know if this helps, but I used to buy MacBooks Pros for portability. Since I bought an iPad, which I still use for work instead of the MacBook, I found no real need for a laptop. When the time came to upgrade the computer I ordered an iMac. The iMac in the office and iPad for portability works really well for me. Throw in cloud storage and it's a sweet set up. I go to a meeting and just pull up a presentation or a file I created on my iMac right on my iPad. Works well. :)

3. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I've asked myself some of the same questions. Why did I buy a MacBook Pro if it's just sitting on my desk? Do I need a laptop? Do I need a desktop anymore? What about the iPad?

Because I play games and I want the best experience I do need a desktop. So, yea, unless I go the PC route, I need an iMac. I have tried gaming on my MBP and it does work but only for a short time before the battery runs out. Not to mention that the experience is just not the same on the lesser hardware and screen real estate.

For the longest time my MBP would sit on my desktop and not be used most of the time. That's a pretty expensive paperweight I had there. Then I realized I could use it when I'm bored watching TV downstairs. It's also really great in bed when I'm trying to wind down for the evening (no TV in my room). It's also nice to have it when I go on vacation. I have a fully fledged computer with me to do whatever I want. Admittedly, it doesn't get used very often in this scenario.

I've always admired the iPad from afar. They seemed so cool, lightweight, portable. But what would I really do with it? I have my desktop for horsepower, my laptop for portability, my iPhone for communication and lightweight applications. Where in my life would an iPad come in? To me the iPad is a poor laptop replacement. It doesn't stand on it's own and has no real keyboard attached. My iPhone can do most things an iPad can do and it's more portable. Maybe one day I'll find the "killer app" for the iPad and get one.

4. Hamburger macrumors regular

this!