How do you know what RAM to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lacereza, Jun 4, 2008.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I don't mean how do you know what's compatible, rather, out of all the brands/websites, how do you pick the best one? I always thought they would perform more or less the same, but after reading some stuff on other websites it seems that different brands can slow down or speed up startup time among other things.

I will be upgrading my MBP to 4GB of RAM when I buy it in early August.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Buying RAM, i always go for crucial

3. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

Lacereza,

I would be interested in hearing how your Mac behaves after your upgrade.

A few months ago I upgraded mine to 4Gb and I could swear that ever since then, the machine has become touchy. I think I may have narrowed it down to a problem with Mac Mail and the increased memory. With Mail running, other programs tend to crash and die requiring themselves to 'relaunch'. Quite often, even Mail, itself does the crashing! If Mail isn't running, things tend to be okay. The biggest issue is that the crashing isn't very consistent - many days it happens a LOT, other days, none at all.

Now I am beginning to wonder if I should purposefully mismatch my RAM boards by going down to 3Gb (the max, I have read) that the Mac can address!?!?!?

Anyway, if you get the chance, let me know if you experience similar issues.