How do you know when your MBP was made?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GeorgeD, Oct 28, 2008.

1. GeorgeD macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a older style MBP and I was informed the MBP that were made after september are free of the gpu failures. Is there a way to check when the MBP just by looking at the box?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The serial number will tell you – click on 'About this Mac' under the Apple Menu and click on where it gives the OS type until it displays the serial number. Hidden among the numbers are details of your Mac's build location and date. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the serial number is on the outside of the box or not though, as I don't have mine to hand.

Once you have the serial number, finding the manfacture date is pretty simple. The first two figures are an indication of the build location. The next numerical figure is the final digit of the year of production, the next two digits are the week.

So, for example, my MacBook Pro's serial number begins W8808... W8 is the factory code – in this case Shanghai in China – the next 8 indicates 2008, and 08 tells me that it was made in the eighth week of that year.

3. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

So does anybody know if it's true about the gpu's that were made after october to be okay?

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Any chance you could interpret my MBP's serial #? Or know where I can go to get a chart? I think my laptop was built in 2007, but I bought it as a refurb in mid-April 2008. Maybe refurbs get a new brand serial number, and a new manufacture date...? That could be what the RM means... Reconditioned, or Remanufactured...? So, following your code, Reconditioned in M in 2008, 15th week. Plus a lot of other stuff. :)

SN: RM81531MX91
    Build: 9F33

thanks. :)

5. delude macrumors 6502

Serial number: RM81531MX91
    Name: MacBook Pro (Mid 2007)
    Model: Mxxxx MacBook Pro 2.2GHz
    Bus speed: 800MHz
    Screen size: 15 inch
    Memory - number of slots: 2
    Factory: RM (Remanufactured Model = Refurbished)
    Model introduced: 2007
    Production year: 2008
    Production week: 15 (April)
    Production number: 3523 (within this week)

6. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Really? What/who is this source of information?

But to answer your question, yes, there is a way to check just by looking at the box. The serial number would be on the box. Just follow Jaffa Cake's instructions from there.

Week 40 is, I think, the start of October but I've seen a new case MacBook Pro made in week 40 so wouldn't Apple have stopped manufacturing the older style MacBook Pros then?

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Thanks! :) You're a world of information.

8. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

So i checked out some serial numbers outside of the box and they all were made on week 39 apparently. Does this mean these are ok?

9. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Mine is week 31 - right before they started with the new chip. I'm just happy they fixed it so if/when mine goes they have a repair. I wouldn't worry too much. I'm getting Apple Care and so if something goes wrong they will replace it with the fixed one. :)

10. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

As was the first to initially post this link in another thread, check out this link:
    http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

It looks sketch, but I have been using it for years...since I first got my 12" Powerbook G4 and never had problems with the site decoder.

11. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

That site is wrong. It's telling me I have a 17" when I have a 15".

12. Pr0digy Guest

Get all the info you need about your mac here: www.appleserialnumberinfo.com

Fairly new site but recognizes almost any Intel Mac serial number.