How do you know you haven't been hacked?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Darvari, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Darvari macrumors newbie

I've been reading on these Adobe introduced vulnerabilities (see http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/07/28/1412255/92-of-Windows-PCs-Vulnerable-To-Zero-Day-Attacks-On-Flash) which can be exploited on OS X as well.

I've been using flash with Firefox, how do I know my system is not compromised? How do *you* know yours is not? Is there any way to find this out? Does Apple provide any tools of detection (think rootkit revealer provided by Microsoft), or any 3rd party tools?

Especially troubling is the fact expressed by some security experts that OS X is by definition more hackable than other OS's. See http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2941 for example:

Also think about the apps we download from the Internet. How do I (or you) know the app I've downloaded and installed/run hasn't been compromised by somebody (if not the author then a 3rd party)? So few of their authors offer an md5 checksum to verify its integrity.

Thanks.

2. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

This argument holds no water with me.

This is like saying it's much easier to rob a bank than the bulletproof Taco Bell/KFC on the corner of Malcom X and MLK.

3. Darvari thread starter macrumors newbie

Signal, no need to get defensive :) I make no arguments, I'm simply asking; I'm not interested on "partisan/holy wars/fan wars/OS X is better" type of discussions.

Thanks

I don't know if this is related or not to this topic (I hope it isn't), after the mishap described by me here, I log-in, and the first thing I do is run netstat to look at my connections. Unfortunately there was one I cannot explain, to a remote address of 12.120.2.205.http, which it looks like it's owned by AT&T (and I'm not in the US).

My browser was not running. What gives?

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Um..ya. Sorry but saying Mac OS is easy to hack and you can do whatever you want is completely false.

Theres a reason people use unix based OS's and it has to do with security.

EDIT: OP my comments are directed towards the article not to you :)

5. Darvari thread starter macrumors newbie

Consultant, thanks for the MacWorld article. It is funny though how the first two articles speak of a "malware myth", and the 3rd one reveals there's no myth, Mac malware exists :)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So you did start this thread to start a flame war?

7. Darvari thread starter macrumors newbie

I would recommend you read the whole thread before posting.

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I can't decide what this canned response from is worth. On the whole, I give it a thumbs up.

On this thread, I give it a thumbs down. Of those five articles, only one addresses a point the TS brought up - the marketshare issue.