Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you usually launch applications?

• Manually (going through Applications folder)

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Spotlight

Votes: 45 45.9%
  • Quicksilver

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other application launcher (post comment)

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other (post comment)

Votes: 12 12.2%

• Total voters

Steve-M

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
I made a alias folder for most frequently used apps, and use that as a stack in the dock.

Question: Seeing that a lot of people use spotlight, do you normally take the time to click on spotlight, or is there a keyboard shortcut to speed things up?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Dock and Spotlight mostly. I had Butler for universal keyboard shortcuts for really common apps (iTunes/Safari/Terminal). A few of the apps I keep in the dock are the ones that I might want to drag stuff onto, like VLC/Quicktime, TextMate.

I wanted to use QS, but I just couldn't get it set up the way I wanted. Maybe again in the future with some spare brainspace.

For me Spotlight is way to slow, more-so when it gets a bigger index. QuickSilver is my choice, it's just so fast, often quicker than checking if the app is in my dock!

Mine was dead slow until I accidentally rebuilt my Spotlight index with OnyX. After that I could launch any app as fast as I can type the first three letters of the app I want.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Am I the only one that actually goes to the application folder and click the app?

I can't always remember the names of applications, especially the ones that I don't use a lot. I only recognize them by their icons.

For those frequently used applications, I put them on dock.

No need for QS or spotlight.

Same here. Most everything I use is on the dock. If not, I just hit the HD icon (which I also have in my dock for this reason) and click the applications folder.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Other: Dock...

With the exception of one or two apps every week or so, every app that I launch is on my dock. I only have the apps that I need on it, and when I need to open an App that isn't on my dock then I open the Applications folder (which is also on the dock) in grid mode and select it from there.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Question: Seeing that a lot of people use spotlight, do you normally take the time to click on spotlight, or is there a keyboard shortcut to speed things up?

Cmd+spacebar.

I keep just about everything in the Dock, but occasionally I need Disk Utility, which I open from Spotlight. For most apps, I only recognize them by icon, so if I don't know what I need, I'll open the Applications folder in Finder.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
launchbar

I use that for opening url's too when I'm in another app or looking something up on wikipedia, etc.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
The more I use OS X, the more I like it. Thats pretty handy, Thanks :)

Doesn't work for me. It pages down instead :confused:

Cancel that. I had it turned off in System Preferences.

Pretty useful. I think I might be able to replace Quicksilver now

eV

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Dock. Or sometimes I'll use "Recent Items" off the Apple menu if it's something I don't keep in the dock but do know that I used recently.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I'm also surprised so many people use Spotlight instead of some other launcher. To each his own, I guess, but I have to wonder if a lot of those Spotlight votes never tried something else.

I tried out LaunchBar earlier today, and while I like how its calculator works, I didn't care for the overall interface, or how you couldn't do more complex commands with it (unless I didn't dig deep enough).

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I'm still on Tiger 10.4.11, so...

1)Dock for the most common apps

2)Overflow for the next most common

3)Right-click the Applications folder on the right side of the dock; then select what I need

Works for me. I'm skipping Leopard. But I'll jump on Snow Leopard, probably after the first point release or so... maybe 10.6.1* (or 2, or 3).

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
i use quicksilver-tied to cntl and space. i can to everything from there.. i sometimes use spotlight, but most of the time quicksilver. :)

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Quicksilver is good at a lot of thing, only if you like mouse-less.

I tried Quicksilver on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, and found that it makes my cpu running from 5% - 25% frequently. As a launcher, I prefer 0% cpu when I don't use it. So, I have to remove it from my MBP. :D

Spotlight is slower, but that's all I need. ;)

Hope spotlight better in Snow leopard.

:apple:

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I have my 12-15 most used application in the Dock, and I use an Applications stack for everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.