How do you like the Larger MBP Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Nov 14, 2016.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

In looking at the pic's of the new MBP's, I'm not sure if I will like the larger trackpad; my Mid- 2014 seems just perfect to me.

I'm waiting for the stores to get models in so I can toy with them for awhile, but for you guys who have the 13"MBP NT, what are your opinions on the larger trackpad?

Thank you
    m

2. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

It's ok, but I've had some phantom mouse cursor movement from the edge of my palm hovering above or touching the corner of the pad, so I suppose that's worse.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Tried it. Loved it. In the pictures it looks too big — almost comical. I wasn't convinced.

But when you come to use it, you just effortlessly use gestures with the laziest of wrist flicks. There's no palm input because your natural resting position adjusts to be outside of it, which personally is a more comfortable position than one I'd use on a cMBP. It's great.

4. motime macrumors 6502

It looks pretty bad and it would only be useful for certain gestures 99% of the public wouldn't utilize.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Have you actually tried it?

6. negatv1 macrumors 6502

It's huge. Works well. Have that much empty space under the keyboard, why not use it? Can swipe for days.

7. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I tried it at the apple store and didn't have any issues with accidental touches. But it is kind of hard to tell when you are standing over a computer rather than sitting at a desk.

Does anyone have experience using the new trackpads with tap to click on? That is my preferred setting. I hate physically clicking the touchpad (with or without force touch). Do you have to deal with more accidental touches in this scenario? (again I tried this at the store and didn't have problems but would like to hear from real users).

8. motime macrumors 6502

Yes I tried it on the 13 inch model. Didn't see the point of it really, I think last years size was good enough.

9. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I owned a rMB. That one has a rather large trackpad for it's size. Of course, not this large. But I had a lot of accidental clicks with tap to click on. I also hate to physically press down, and always use tap to click. I've tried rMBP13 in store, but didn't get any false clicks.

Of course, doing that by standing up isn't the same. But I am fairly certain that this will be even worse then on rMB.

10. fokmik macrumors 65816

Maybe for the next macos with support for pencil

11. lairdhenn macrumors newbie

lairdhenn

I like it and haven't had any palm trouble, but better touch tool, which I use many custom gestures with, has not been working as well as my 2015 rMBP. I experience a lot of gestures needing to be input 3 or 4 times or having to reposition my hand. I hope it may be something fixed in an update.

12. fs454 macrumors 65816

Love it on my 15" but honestly don't miss it all that much when I pick up my Late 2013 15" again since the trackpad was already amazing. Your fingers just sort of immediately adapt to the available space. Haven't had any palm rejection issues so far and I've been resting fully on each side of it - it's almost impossible not to on the massive trackpad on the 15". Gestures are super easy on the big one - it almost feels like the entire palm wrest is fair, touchable game.

I have a feeling it's going to be pretty great once I get into some heavier workflows this week. It's definitely more precise having all that space to map movements onto.

13. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

I tried out the 13" NTB yesterday, and that trackpad sure looks and fees large; I kept trying to keep my palms off it.

So now that some of you have had the new 13" for a short time, any issues with the larger TP?

14. creamz macrumors member

creamz

You can rest your palm on the trackpad just fine and you won't find ur cursor moving anywhere else you don't want it to or accidentally clicking on anything else. The Force Touch trackpad would not register a click or move the cursor with our palm. It registers movement or click with fingers only.

15. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

With the 15", my experience is that this is MOSTLY true, but if you have it set for right click by clicking bottom right, and your palm brushes the bottom right when you are clicking on the left side, it will sometimes interpret this as a right click. And sometimes it just plain doesn't seem to register clicks for me, and I'm not totally sure why.

16. erure macrumors regular

Everyone's experiences are different, but for me, the new trackpad has not been that great. I like having tap to click on, but this results in a lot of accidental clicks while I'm typing. The only solutions I can think of are either turning tap to click off or adjusting my typing so that my palms don't rest as much on the laptop, and both options aren't that great. I've noticed it tends to be more my right palm than my left palm. I'm hoping I'll adjust and stop touching the trackpad while I type...

17. cmaier macrumors G3

I like it. The only problem I have is with right-clicking when set to "bottom-right secondary click." I keep getting stuck in "right-click" mode even when I tap elsewhere. So I turned it off, since i pretty much always ctrl-click anyway.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I like the larger track pad. I haven't had any palm rejection problems as some have.

19. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

At first I thought the 15" trackpad would be too large, but now after using it I think it's great. Haven't had any palm rejection issues during typing, but I haven't done a ton of that on it yet.

20. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Now that more of you guys have your 2016- 13" MBP's, I'd appreciate some additional feedback on trackpad, and any issues you may be experiencing using it, like palm rejection, etc.

Thank you again