How do you like the speakers on the iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Dec 29, 2015.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

One reason i switched to Android a while ago was that I absolutely loathe rear/bottom facing speakers on tablets and phones, as the whole point of a speaker should be to send the sound toward the user, not toward other people in the vicinity. With the iPad Air I still have, I found the speakers virtually useless since my family hears more of a movie than I do.

While the iPad Pro speakers are still pointing the wrong way (Apple designers, are you drunk?), it sounds like they are somehow internally directed in a way that sends more of the sound to the user, less to bystanders. Is this true? Are the speakers useful?

2. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

They are the best speakers I've seen on any tablet.

3. Speechless macrumors 6502a

Insane.

When I first took out my headphones they scared the hell out of me. Very loud, very clear, very surprising.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

All the Apple Store employees need to do to sell iPad Pro's is to go to YouTube, search THX intro and turn the speakers all the way up.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Not only is the volume remarkable, but the orientated stereo imaging is such an incredible feature it makes other iPads sound like a joke.

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Your headphones?

7. Speechless macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I usually never use my devices without headphones but the speakers on the pro shocked me because they were so good.

8. macbook123, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016

macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, sorry, misread your initial post and got confused. Suppose I need more coffee...;-)

Thanks for the responses everybody. That's good news. So do the speakers actually orient the soundstage in such a way that the user hears more than people sitting on the other side?

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Some one directly behind you if you hold the screen vertically to your face may hear the slightest increase, if any at all.

Someone to the left or right will only receive sound directly from one(two speakers) of two sets of speakers. Even though the speaker orientation will direct a louder dB wave to them, you'll get the benefit of two sets(4 speakers).

So basically, yes, you'll benefit and hear "more".

10. gigatigga macrumors member

It's quite amazing what they've done with the speakers. I would say it is on par with some 30-40 dollar Bluetooth speakers. From a tablet, it's excellent.

11. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

I agree wholeheartedly.

12. darkgremio macrumors 6502

Almost too loud when volume is maxed. It's a good kind of loud, not distorted or anything.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My mom and my partner both complained when I played music through the iPad Pro speakers. What was comfortable volume to me, holding the iPad, they said were too loud to them, who had the back of the iPad pointing at them.

14. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

They are incredible! So loud my family can hear them on the other side of the house :)

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Compared to my Air 2 the IPPro sounds like a million bucks! Best sound quality of any tablet I have ever used.

16. bluermlou macrumors member

Love them. Sound easily (and loudly) fills the room now.

17. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, the speakers sound great, especially considering the size of the device. They're now loud enough to play music and listen to while showering for instance, watch Netflix and listen while prepping dinner, play a video and allow family to listen comfortable in a semi-noisy family setting etc.

I recently went on a trip back home for the holidays, and ordinarily I would have taken my MacBook Air, iPhone, camera, and Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker. This year I only took my iPhone and iPad, and I never found that I needed any of the other devices.

18. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Best speakers on a mobile device period.....

19. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Yeah great speakers. I rolled my eyes during this part of the pitch - never be as good as real speakers anyway - but they definitely impressed out of the box. Not sure how often I'll use them, since I have Sonos at home and headphones for travel, but it's a nice feature to have when you're just on the road and have some time to use it as a stereo. Just another element that makes the Pro feel like one of the most versatile and "complete" computers I've ever used.

20. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Received mine today. I agree the speakers are incredible!

That said, they're still pointing more to the back than to the front, so people I'm sharing a room with get most of the listening experience. That can be undesired when e.g., I'm watching a movie and they're reading a book. Hate to be nit-picky about this, but I just don't understand the rationale for not making the speakers front-facing.

21. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I am a bit hard of hearing, not enough for hearing aids, but I have trouble clearly understanding much of what I hear on my iPad Air 2. When I got my iPad Pro I went to You Tube and found my favorite Andre Rieu clip and when I played it I was amazed, I could understand it clearly, and actually had too turn it down slightly.

The speakers are just amazingly great! Fantastic!

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm sure the engineers at Apple know that front-facing speakers are more desirable, but they do have a bunch of design goals to meet. Like keeping it thin, keeping the overall dimensions down, keeping the battery life a certain length, etc. They probably just couldn't find a way to fit the speaker grill facing forward while meeting all the other goals.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That would interfere with the aesthetics that apple was trying to design into the tablet. The front is a beautiful late of glass, and having speaker holes showing up would be less desirable.

FWIW, my SP3's speakers are not front facing AFAIK

24. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I agree that Apple was most likely trying to adhere to a common design theme. It is possible to integrate front facing speakers and still look good. Microsoft does a good job on the SP3/SP4/SB models integrating front facing speakers. The IPP is light years ahead of those models as far as sound is concerned.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I gather, I agree. I've heard rave reviews regarding the iPad's speakers.