How do you like to use Stacks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hecklerdanny, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I installed Leopard on my Macbook yesterday to test it out, before installing it on my other Mac's. It seems pretty solid.

I have to admit that I kind of like the Downloads stack, it does help to keep things clean for me, and in one place, but what do YOU use Stacks for? Honestly I can't think of any other uses for it. I'd put my Applications down there into a stack if I could customize what Applications go in there, and only put my most used, but it seems to be all Applications have to go or non, and that's just weird, so I don't use it for that.

So I want to know how you like to use Stacks, maybe it'll give me some more ideas for ways to use it, because right now I can't think of ANY other reasons to use it other than Downloads.

Thanks.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you could make aliases (cmd-L) of your most-used apps and stick them in a folder which you can make into a stack on your dock.

3. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Ditto for me, I want the old hold-option to open docked folders back...

Downloads is a cool one though, it has its failings as have been dragged around this forum but on the whole its better than chucking it all on the desktop. :)

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You could create a folder with Aliases of all your commonly used Applications and make a stack out of that to get what you wanted. I think that would work..

But at the moment I'm just using the download stack and that's pretty much it. I can't find much else I need a stack for.

5. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

I LOVE the download stack as well as the documents stack too. We'll see what happens to the documents stack once I get a whole load of docs in there.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah like the downloads stack is fine.

I agree with others who just miss opening up the folder in finder, or right clicking for the list, with other folders that have more inside though. That worked better for those.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

It does works.

8. Jayhawk85 macrumors member

Jayhawk85

Finally a decent use for Stacks

I got rid of the Documents stack and the Downloads stack. I like my downloads to go to the desktop so I can either put them where they need to go or delete them quickly. The documents stack was just too much info, I'd rather browse through an actual folder.

I finally found a decent use for Stacks today. I created an Applications alias in the Home directory, then made the Home directory a Stack in the dock. Now clicking that stack gives me quick access to music, documents, movies, applications, ect. It is faster than going through Finder. I dislike the new Finder's tiny sidebar icons. Anybody know how to make them bigger?