How do you lock a folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by teiki, Jul 2, 2007.

1. teiki macrumors newbie

Hi,

How do you make it so that a password is required to open a certain folder (so that only the owner of the computer can access it)?

I tried the Get Info > Ownership & Permission option but this it's now doing what I want it to.

Thanks!

2. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I'm pretty sure that you need some sort of program to do it and that it isn't built right into os x. Unfortunately I don't know anything more. Sorry!

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

You can create a disk image that can be password protected. Not sure how... you might want to google it or search the forums here (I know it's been discussed; that's how I know it can be done.)

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In Disk Utility you can make a new disk image, select that you want it encrypted, and set it to be a "sparse disk image" that way it will only take up as much space as the stuff inside of it. Mount it when you need it.

Otherwise, you can make another account on the computer, go into that account and make folders and put things in them that you want protected, then set the permissions for everyone but that account as "No Access" or "write only".

5. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Cool, I didn't know that! Just tried it.. I will use that a lot! I generally use disk images I make the way you described it, for my private files. For sure, the best way to protect them. Sparse, is a nice feature. :cool:

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Most of the time, simply setting the permissions to no access for all other uses will be sufficient. Don't need to create dmg's to replace all your directories.

7. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Huh, I get an error when I try to do that. Just click new and pick out the folder, right? It wouldn't work for me when I did either no encryption or the one available type. Also, what's journaling? I clicked it out of curiosity and nothing happened except it said (journaling) after "Mac OS Extended" at the bottom. The error I get when trying to create the disk is "Unable to create "disk0.dmg, Resource busy." I'm new to Mac's, if you can't tell!