How do you make a Mac go to sleep with a keyboard command?

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
770
0
Pittsburgh, PA
I know this is incredibly lazy of me, and it would probably save more time just going to Apple>Sleep, but I do it so much, and every time I do it I wish I could just do apple+s (or something else because that's save).

So does anyone know how I can do that? And what key is free? Is there a key that isn't used in any apps that I can assign as my quick sleep button? Say, maybe F13? Or F6 or F7... there's a lot of F#'s that I've never used.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,813
183
Bergen, Norway
Press the power button, tab your way to Sleep (you might have to turn on Full Keyboard Access, or whatever it's called, in the Keyboard preferences) and press the spacebar (not enter, as that's the default choice: Shut Down). So it's in quick succession: Power - Tab - Space.
 
Comment

iWillard

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
107
0
Staring at a Mac Screen
johnbro23 said:
I know this is incredibly lazy of me, and it would probably save more time just going to Apple>Sleep, but I do it so much, and every time I do it I wish I could just do apple+s (or something else because that's save).

So does anyone know how I can do that? And what key is free? Is there a key that isn't used in any apps that I can assign as my quick sleep button? Say, maybe F13? Or F6 or F7... there's a lot of F#'s that I've never used.

On my powerbook it's option+command+eject
 
Comment

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,813
183
Bergen, Norway
iWillard said:
On my powerbook it's option+command+eject
Cool, that even worked on my iBook, which has a shared F12/Eject button... I had to hold the key combination down for a second or so, and the optical drive tried spitting out a non-existing disk, but the iBook went to sleep... :)
 
Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,032
1
Portland, OR
Since you have a Desktop.. How about..

The one time setting:

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options tab -> check "Allow power button to sleep the computer"

And now:

Press the power button

<poof> Slept!
 
Comment

iWillard

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
107
0
Staring at a Mac Screen
dmw007 said:
Worked for me on my Power Mac G5.

Thank You iWillard.

Wow.. glad to be of help to all of you... I learned the shortcut from the forum, so I thought it was fairly common knowledge...

bonus tip (you might know, might not): When in finder, shift+command+delete empties the trash!

tune in next week when my shortcut will be ... :p
 
Comment

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
2,422
761
I just wish I could turn on my G5 from my aluminum Cinema Display. :( I can't believe there's no way to do it. I mean it doesn't have the ADC but the thing is connected to my tower with dvi, firewire and usb. It's the one thing I miss about ADC.
 
Comment

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
1,956
4
I just shut the lid on a laptop, which puts it to sleep. I press the button on the monitor of our G5 (17" ADC)... For everything else I press power+s.
 
Comment

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
iWillard said:
On my powerbook it's option+command+eject
Thanks. That's useful as I can never get my iMac to sleep using the Apple menu, and I think it's because I've got a BT mouse which about ½sec. after you click sleep is still communicating it's movement to the Mac and waking it.
 
Comment

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
638
6
Leeds, England
mpw said:
Thanks. That's useful as I can never get my iMac to sleep using the Apple menu, and I think it's because I've got a BT mouse which about ½sec. after you click sleep is still communicating it's movement to the Mac and waking it.
Use the option in BT preferences to prevent devices waking computers from sleep :)
 

Attachments

Comment

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
psycho bob said:
Use the option in BT preferences to prevent devices waking makings from sleep :)
Thanks. OK now I'm looking stupid that's the second thing in two days that I've figured out how to do through these forums where the answer has been hidden in plain sight under preferences or properties.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.